placing tell tails

nonamebrand

Hi,

I recently purchase a Laser and found the previous owner has stolen the tell tails!!

I want to add some, where would the experts recommend as the best places to add them??

Many thanks
Mark

The hole through the traveller cleat looks like an idea I will steal. I put a tiny tang of plastic under the aft screw head to hold the bungee from locking the traveller rope. It works fine, but I like taking things off rather than adding things. It's always neater.

Does it cut throught he bungee on the corners where it exits the cleat?

How much use is all that purchase on the cunningham? Mine is half of what you have and it's easy enough to move in or out. What am i missing out on?

Saw I can tell you that style of DH is nice, but its a pain in the ass having to pull it all down, and you end up with a long more line than you ever care for, I'm going to go down to the single and a single w/becket

I wouldn't bother with the hole in the trav cleat, I just take it around the cleat and it stays on deck, nice idea though

Hi...

About the telltales... the one i love having on my sail is about 18 inches in from the leech in the bottom third of the sail.

The nice thing about that is that when reaching it makes sure that you don't oversheet as that telltale will break a long time before the luff ones do. It's also pretty handy when sailing by the lee as you can see the reverse flow quite easily....

So yes... i have a small cluster of 3 set about 18" from the luff in the bottom third - one tell tale 18" from the leech in line with the luff cluster and then two leech tell tales near but not on the top two battens...

Night...
T

I always get frustrated at not being able to see the leeward telltale, depending on where the sun is and everyone says thats the most important one to keep flowing. So I put small telltales in the top front corner of my radial sail window. May not be the ideal position but at least I can always see them.

Yeh, I find that too abenn, it really annoys me! What colour are your telltales? Ours are red and green, and I can't tell if it's the sun in general or whether black telltales would make them easier to see.

I've tried red,green, black wool, cassette tape and now wide video tape - if the suns on the near side of the sail I can't see any of them.
On the window I use red and green wool. Sometimes gets caught on the stitching in light winds so don't put it right in the corner.

Back