Pintle: to worry or not to worry

Fun Fish

Hi folks,

Put the fish in the water for the first sail of 2010 yesterday--hooray, summer's coming!
I have a recent model rudder assembly. When I went to place the rudder, my pintle was a little sticky--I couldn't pop it down at first and then when I was ready to pop it back up in the gudgeon, it wouldn't pop back up. After a bit of fiddling, it went all the way down--I was almost worried it would fall out of the spring, but it didn't. I ended up getting it to work and sailed with no troubles, but should I be concerned or was this just the result of non-use for a few months? Thanks!--Fun Fish

Check out PB-50 or WD-40. Which protects better in a water environment I'm not sure although PB-50 claims it is better. Some experimentation is in order as there is also Lithium-based grease.

When I went to place the rudder, my pintle was a little sticky--I couldn't pop it down at first and then when I was ready to pop it back up in the gudgeon, it wouldn't pop back up.
Are the rudder cheeks (the rudder's gudgeon head) aluminum or plastic? Sounds like they are the aluminum model.

Are you sailing in a saltwater environment? Be sure to rinse the boat with fresh water after each day's sail..., and, given the situation, pay particular attention to where the pintle pin slides.

Be careful with general petroleum based lubricants around plastics ... both the rudder head and the polyester of the hull. I think you'll find warnings right on the can about absorption, staining, and possibly a contribution to delamination.

Read the instructions !

The Blaster Chemical Companies FAQ - http://www.blasterchemical.com/faqs.html

Use caution when using PB on: plastics, paint, rubber*, fiberglass, belting and similar materials. Always apply to an inconspicuous area before proceeding with application as PB may stain such surfaces.

The petroleum solvents in PB will impregnate common black butyl rubber. If left in contact with these materials for extended periods of time they will begin to swell and deteriorate. However, these solvents evaporate and are not typically on applied surfaces for long periods

Better than applying a short lived penetrating oil in a lot of fast evaporating solvent, would be to remove the pin, clean the passage and re-install the pin using a thin film of silicone grease or something known to be boat friendly such as a Teflon based product like Sailkote.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I am in brackish water and while I do hose her down after every sail, I probably don't get as good and close up with those rudder parts as I should. I'll give those suggestions a try! Gratefully, Fun Fish (and of course, Go Saints)

If it's metal with a plastic bushing/hinge there is a safe method. Disasemble the pin, chuck it in a drill and polish with Crocus Cloth. While you are polishing, apply Graphite Powder. Takes a bit of time but once the Graphite is worked in you'll have a low friction pin.

Back