Pintle pin up or down?

I reassembled my new style rudder so that you push up on the spring around the pintle pin to install the rudder, as shown in a diagram at SunfishDirect.com. However, I've also seen the pin inserted the opposite way (e.g. actual photos of rudder at the same web site), so that you push down on the spring to install the rudder. Which is correct? It seems that the first way would be harder to accidentally dislodge.

I can't say which is "correct". I've tried both, and both ways work. I personally strongly prefer to push up on the pin, as my finger is already right there when installing or removing the rudder. Pushing down felt awkward to me.
Same here, although of my five Sunfish, two were of the push-down persuasion.

More importantly, the "keeper" (C-clip or E-clip) must be secure, or the whole works can be lost! I've ground a deep ring on the exposed pin end, and twisted one or a few turns of s/s wire inside the groove. (Just enough so the pin can't fall out).

(Picture when I get back to my laptop computer).

Same here, although of my five Sunfish, two were of the push-down persuasion.

More importantly, the "keeper" (C-clip or E-clip) must be secure, or the whole works can be lost! I've ground a deep ring on the exposed pin end, and twisted one or a few turns of s/s wire inside the groove. (Just enough so the pin can't fall out).

(Picture when I get back to my laptop computer).
Yes, I had this happen right before a race last Sunday! I've now secured everything with a cotter pin.

As promised:

Photos 3212017 70018 AM.bmp.jpg

My sons 1980 has the push up type. The bottom end got caught and bent. I went to bend it back and it broke off. I fixed it on my lathe and figured I would flip it. Well that did not work out.

Some are push down and some are push up. I have not looked closer at this point to understand it better.

More importantly, the "keeper" (C-clip or E-clip) must be secure, or the whole works can be lost!
I replaced my "C" clip pintles for ones with holes so I can use a cotter pin to secure. I think it might be a little more reliable. Sure do not want to pay for a new rudder!:D:D

I have the push down set up, but you can change this to whatever orientation you want. I’ll just warn you that you can pinch your thumb on the push down set up I’ve done it twice now. I like to push down.

I’ve got the other pintle that uses a cotter pin but I’ve been sailing so much and I’m too lazy to change it out…:cool:

Back