Pics of Clew blocks

ChalmersP

Anyone got some pictures of the outhaul setup? Especially of the ones with the blocks at the clew! Im thinking of getting some and want to see how its done!
Thanks
ChalmersP

DSC_0011.jpg

how difficult is it to tie this system to the fairlead in windy conditions and what is the friction like? Is the tail what they call 3mm amsteel? that's a "kiwi" knot, yes? How soon would the line wear out from friction on the eyelet?

The following link shows a typical block setup - this one happens to use the older harken clew hook, you can substitute a shackle for the hook if you are worried about accidental disconnects... This is much easier to rig/unrig then the example above..

http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=8292&postcount=11

(Yeah, that's 3mm 12strand spectra - could be Amsteel or a few other brands. with a kiwi knot at the fairlead. The spectra is actually tougher then the plastic fairlead on the boom, it will wear down the plastic over time and the ring in the clew is smooth, so there is no wear on the line moving thru the clew. Adding the single block at the clew reduces the friction noticeably.)

All these are great, but im looking for someone who has a shackle!
Or does it really make that much of a difference, shackle or hook!
Well thanks
ChalmersP

if you can't visual the shackle in place of the hook, search the threads here, I'm sure someone has posted what you are looking for.

I had a shackle and switched to a hook because the shackle was to hard to rig and unrig. especially if you need to get your boat on to a dolly its easier to do that with the sail not connected to the boom that way the sail doesn't fill up and fight you. I found the shackle in winds above 15 knots was impossible to deal with. i have not had any problems with the hook coming out yet. I can't promise you that your sail will never come out only because I have only been using the hook for one season. I also attached a harken micro block to the hook for reduced friction.

I just took my boat out yesterday, it was nice wind 10 - 15! and it was amazing how easily the outhaul adjusted on the downwind, and jamesf, thats the way i rigged my outhaul, it seems to make alot of sense with size, but you have to tie a small bowline otherwise you cant get your outhaul cranked!

thanks to all
ChalmersP

Back