Picked up a Sunfish need a few repairs before she can see the water

Webfoot1

You'll have to remove a bit of the foam block in the stern but that's not
a problem. You will not have to replace it and there is plenty left to
support the deck. The ports are well worth it and you can store your
lines and junk like keys and wallet in them. They far outweigh the
"Swiss Cheese" look some people worry about.

Webfoot1

The chance of a mid 70's Sunfish not leaking is small to none. They were never
expected to be in service for so long. I just use a 50 cc syringe to suck the water
out after sailing. With both ports open the deck heats up in the Sun and convection drys
out the hull.

L&VW

The chance of a mid 70's Sunfish not leaking is small to none. They were never expected to be in service for so long. I just use a 50 cc syringe to suck the water out after sailing. With both ports open the deck heats up in the Sun and convection dries out the hull.
If convection is too slow, get a 4-inch muffin fan:
Getting ready to start repair | SailingForums.com

(Quiet, <$10, effective, extremely low draw of house current, last forever). ☆☆☆☆☆

Thread starter #26
I was on the fence about installing ports, but I suppose you are right. Odds are its getting water in there. I cut the repair out and placed the backing patch today. I was able to do so without a port. Unfortunately I only had the epoxy I used to refinish my wood (the Jamestown 1:2). I am sure it will be enough to hold. West system epoxy and glass is coming on Tuesday so I was hoping to have it ready to finish the repair and get this damn thing in the water over the weekend. Another thing I noticed inside the bucket I am questioning if its water right or not. I am going to do a leak test once this epoxy cures.

Attachments

L&VW

I think what you are calling the "bucket", is what we'd call the "cubby". While there may be some porosity at the deck seam, it's unlikely to leak significant water—even if you should "turn turtle". A leak at the cockpit seam is another story...:confused:

L&VW

Nicely done, so far. I'd be tempted to insert a "curb feeler", and send a picture of it to the previous owner. ;) (Maybe I'm the only member to remember "curb feelers")? :(

When I wanted a permanent bow handle, I ran bolts through the new one. Using epoxy made this repair stronger than the hull.

Thread starter #30
I think she might see water this weekend. Winds are gonna be 15...a little more than I wanted for my first trip. Did a total of 4 layers of fiberglass and covered with marine tex. Not exactly seamless, but it seems pretty strong and water proof. I kept sanding to make it more level, but the more I sanded the worse it started looking so I just stopped. Refinishing the wood and ill have to make a temp tiller extension but looks like she is good to go. Leak test didn't find any leaks, Only where the hole was.

Attachments