picked up a Laser II a while back

joe c

banned
needs all of the rigging redone so couple of questions. just some quick measurements and the boom for the 2 and standard look to be abloutt the same length. so guessing the mainsheet length is the same or close enough? still need to step the mast and could measure but figure the brains here might have an answer. its a 1980. overall fair shape. transome is good. dagger sleeve looks ok. seams from stem to midship are blown out but thats an easy fix. framing for the step and starp eye is completely rotted and gone but im a woodworker with marine backround and have no issue fixing that. im getting a main halyard length of about 45 feet. what size dynema should i be getting for that? its got 6mm on it now but its nearly hard as a rock.

i couldnt believe when i found the water jugs in the hull. one had a hole in it from screws probable poking it. but ill replace the holed one and maybe even shove a few more in there, transome ar aft deck had holes poked from the mast sitting on it but got that parched and blended. needs non skid still but working on it. hoping to just get it out on the water for the season then thinking have the mast powder coated next off season. sails are in pretty decent shape.

great fun little bpats to work on. i
20210327_164934.jpg
20210328_171930 (1).jpg
20210325_222359.jpg

Last edited:
boom for the 2 and standard look to be abloutt the same length. so guessing the mainsheet length is the same or close enough? still need to step the mast and could measure but figure the brains here might have an answer.
Mistake number 1 with Laser 2s: comparing it in any way with the Laser :rolleyes: They are totally different boats, with only superficial similarities. Mainsheet length is one of these: since the L2 has shrouds, the mainsheet doesn't need to be nearly as long as the Laser sheet (which has to let the boom past 90°). I can't give you a definitive number, but I'd get 12 metres of some relatively low-tech (no Dyneema needed here) 7 or 8 mm rope, rig it and cut to the right length.

its a 1980.
First full production year. Number 853? (Can't say for sure from the picture.)

im getting a main halyard length of about 45 feet. what size dynema should i be getting for that? its got 6mm on it now but its nearly hard as a rock.
I assume you have a horn cleat for the main halyard; or is that a plastic Clamcleat at the mast foot? (The L2 masts I am more familiar with had wire halyards and racks.) If it's the latter, change it to aluminium. In either case, a 4 or 5 mm Dyneema-core rope should do.

_

Mistake number 1 with Laser 2s: comparing it in any way with the Laser :rolleyes: They are totally different boats, with only superficial similarities. Mainsheet length is one of these: since the L2 has shrouds, the mainsheet doesn't need to be nearly as long as the Laser sheet (which has to let the boom past 90°). I can't give you a definitive number, but I'd get 12 metres of some relatively low-tech (no Dyneema needed here) 7 or 8 mm rope, rig it and cut to the right length.

First full production year. Number 853? (Can't say for sure from the picture.)

I assume you have a horn cleat for the main halyard; or is that a plastic Clamcleat at the mast foot? (The L2 masts I am more familiar with had wire halyards and racks.) If it's the latter, change it to aluminium. In either case, a 4 or 5 mm Dyneema-core rope should do.

_
i actually looked up the dims for the standard laser and measured mine and the boom lengths were less than a 1/2" difference. hence my inquiry. obviously precut mains are available for 30 bucks or so and it would save me time to just order one if i could figure out if it wasnt too short. 2 west marines withn 3 miles of me. neither carries much for decent small boat line. until i can get the mast step taken care of i dont want to put the mast on it. point taken on the shrouds. as well there is no topping lift so working alone to get that measurement would be difficult for me. more info for lengths for the standard laser. not so much the the laser 2 that ive found in the couple of weeks looking randomly. then again....the standard has what....3 pieces of line? 4 maybe? out, down, vang, main?

and to address the eyeroll....ya.....i know theyre different and im pretty sure i know the basic differences. not my first rodeo with boats and not my first rodeo with being the new guy either. for all i know its just a forum running joke. if so haze away. yall cant be any worse than the wera beeb. :)

no cable for the main anymore. the rack is gone and its a horn. im not racing it so i dont care about ilca stuff. dont need another rule book to learn.

if anyone has a place thats good for one design stuff like this in the upper chesapeake or even annapolis....im all ears. having to order stuff from the cape or ct isnt my preference but its all i got.

The emojis on this forum aren't that great. But I view and use the "eyeroll" as a well-meaning gesture :rolleyes:

You don't need to raise the mast to measure the mainsheet length. Just rig any existing rope as a stand-in, set the boom so that it mimics the maximum outboard position (mast step to chain plate line), make a mark at the ratchet block, and measure. You can even hold the boom up at approximately right height, and you get a good ballpark figure. Then buy a precut that's the next length up :)

I believe an all-rope halyard + a horn cleat was standard on North American boats, so that's not even breaking any class rules. (Also, ILCA has nothing to do with the Laser 2 class.)

As recently as two years ago you would have had all the stuff you need a reasonably short drive away, at Annapolis Performance Sailing. Its closing must have been a big blow to the sport in the area. I myself greatly prefer shopping at "real" walk-in stores as well, but online is where everything's going to in these times... and then it doesn't really matter much whether the physical shop is in Ontario or Oregon.

_

Measured/calculated from the measurement diagram a mainsheet length of 8.2 metres, plus knots and tails. Having done that, I found the old PSE rigging manual that gives the factory length at 9 m, so I wasn't totally off :D

But the sad news is that the Laser 2 apparently isn't a World Sailing class anymore. The class page still exists, but it's not linked to from the WS main technical page. Was to be expected though, as there's been practically no international activity in the past few years.

_

Back