Phantom Repair Questions

WayneOBA

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but I picked up a Phantom a couple weeks ago and have seen a couple of post on this site about them.

I know it needs some repairs but I really don't know how to start. I have read a good bit on the net about wet sanding and such but would like some ideas on my specific repairs.

The boat is 1981 Howmar Phantom, 14' 1". The hull has several small spots where it appears that it has rubbed through the gelcoat and you can see the fiberglass beneath. On the bottom I have a couple more small rub spots as well what looks like a previous patch.

Lastly, it appears that the deck has tried to separate from the hull at some time inthe past and there appears to be filler that is now in the space between the hull and deck along the gunnels. You have to have it upside down to notice it. Some of the filler appears to be deteriating and small piecs are falling out.

So, my questions, how do I fix the "rub through" spots, the bad patch on the bottom, and what material would you use to reseal the deck tothe hull - if that makes sense. Any help appreciated!

IMG-20121215-00067.jpgIMG-20121215-00074.jpg

The fix to the hulll/deck separation problem is fairly easy. Better if the boat is upside down. Just clean out the old material, as pointed out in the thread wavedancer mentioned, fill the space with epoxy and put a clamp on it. That's how I fixed my Phantom.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but I picked up a Phantom a couple weeks ago and have seen a couple of post on this site about them.

I know it needs some repairs but I really don't know how to start. I have read a good bit on the net about wet sanding and such but would like some ideas on my specific repairs.

The boat is 1981 Howmar Phantom, 14' 1". The hull has several small spots where it appears that it has rubbed through the gelcoat and you can see the fiberglass beneath. On the bottom I have a couple more small rub spots as well what looks like a previous patch.

Lastly, it appears that the deck has tried to separate from the hull at some time inthe past and there appears to be filler that is now in the space between the hull and deck along the gunnels. You have to have it upside down to notice it. Some of the filler appears to be deteriating and small piecs are falling out.

So, my questions, how do I fix the "rub through" spots, the bad patch on the bottom, and what material would you use to reseal the deck tothe hull - if that makes sense. Any help appreciated!

View attachment 10698View attachment 10697

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

The fix to the hulll/deck separation problem is fairly easy. Better if the boat is upside down. Just clean out the old material, as pointed out in the thread wavedancer mentioned, fill the space with epoxy and put a clamp on it. That's how I fixed my Phantom.

Thanks for the reply - I'm feeling better about the repairs. If you have a Phatom, I do have another question though - at the bow, I seem to be missing maybe a handle. I have a small hole where something originally was - see picture -- was this a handle? This looks like it goes into the hull so I assume I either need to find another one or seal it up? W0uld there be a source for a replacement that you would know of? Thanks.

Attachments

• Phantom_Bow.jpg
    Phantom_Bow.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 45

Back