PFD/ buoyancy aid question.

What laser class organized events permit the use of non coast guard certified life jackets if any in the United states. I really like the Zhik and the Magic marine models but I dont want to buy anything I cant use

i am wearing the zhik for most regattas now...but at big regattas my coach tells me to bring a us coast guard certified life jacket for the measurement and just change into my zhik one before launching....

i am wearing the zhik for most regattas now...but at big regattas my coach tells me to bring a us coast guard certified life jacket for the measurement and just change into my zhik one before launching....

What else does he tell you to do to cheat?

That's bad advice from your coach and not just for the reason that Merrily gave you.

You CAN be protested for not wearing an 'approved' PFD. And yes, it has happened....

at the club level a majority of sailors are wearing buoyancy aids, they are more comfortable and have plenty of floatation, they could probably pass the coast guard testing but its extremely expensive to have the testing done, I wear one unless I'm doing a bigger regatta where the majority is wearing a coast guard approved pfd

its not a wise idea to have a pfd approved then switch to another vest before the race, you could be protested and possibly banned/suspended from racing, don't get me wrong I think the buoyancy aids should be legal for laser sailors in the US but, if you want to compete at a higher level you'll have to have an approved pfd as well

the thing is i have looked and have seen the majority of other sailors wearing the zhik or other non CG approved buoyancy aids with team pinnies over them or just wearing them...also in most of the Junior olympic regattas i go to they state in the SI that you cannot protest for clothing and equipment discrepencies......

i was just looking at some pics from Miami OCR and there were quite a few people wearing the Zhik ones. Its probably a safe bet to wear one because most likely, at that level if they could be protested for wearing one they probably would be.

i was just looking at some pics from Miami OCR and there were quite a few people wearing the Zhik ones. Its probably a safe bet to wear one because most likely, at that level if they could be protested for wearing one they probably would be.

Remember they are from different countries. I think the rules in the SIs for something like that is for what is from your native country, not the US.

I wore my ZHIK for us sailing youth championships measurement and they didnt care.....but for youth nationls they turned people away for the nonCG buoyancy aids....

I use a CG approved life jacket whenever they are required by the SI's and a buoyancy aid when they're not. At the regattas that they are required, I see plenty of people wearing buoyancy aids, and most of the time, they don't get in any kind of trouble for it. But for that small percentage of the time that someone decides to make a big deal out of it and protest, I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Using the wrong life jacket is probably the worst reason to lose a regatta.

I use a CG approved life jacket whenever they are required by the SI's and a buoyancy aid when they're not. At the regattas that they are required, I see plenty of people wearing buoyancy aids, and most of the time, they don't get in any kind of trouble for it. But for that small percentage of the time that someone decides to make a big deal out of it and protest, I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Using the wrong life jacket is probably the worst reason to lose a regatta.
thats my point

Have a look at the Henri Lloyd one. I have the Zhik one as well, but never use it as the HL is less bulky, lighter and it's certified.

Have a look at the Henri Lloyd one. I have the Zhik one as well, but never use it as the HL is less bulky, lighter and it's certified.
Unfortunately there have been recent changes to the government regulations and you'll find that both do not meet the Australian Standards because of the colour scheme.

It's all very confusing isn't it?
The change affecting dinghy, sailboard and catamaran sailors is the lifting of the ban on Type 3 PFDs. Yachting Australia investigated this and found that the position was in conflict with global practices and the requirements of the Australian Standards, and issued Amendment 9. In practice Amendment 9 allows sailors in Australia continue their current practices and not be faced with increased costs or inconvenience until 2013 when it will all be reviewed again. So for the time being it's "as you were", and the various current State requirements are in force. Amendment 9 can be found on the Yachting Australia website.

at radial nationals i was picked for full measurement,at 4.7 worlds I was just screened, but i have heard rumours that the laser class will be doing optimist type measurement in which all boats are fully checked.

Has anyone ever had a PFD checked at a regatta for Coast Guard certification?
In the US, yes, I've been at a few major masters events where it was made quite clear that you wore a USCGA approved model or got tossed (and it's not too hard to pick out the non-USCGA approved models...)

Back