performance of a nylon sail?

strangetanks

Just wanted to start off by saying that you guys are great!! Tons of excellent info and advice.

I bought an old sunfish recently that needs pretty extensive work. I figured since I have to do so many repairs I might as well customize it to look pretty wild. One of the things I would like, is to do away with the standard white or striped sail and have one that matches the custom paint on the boat. The problem is, polyester (aka dacron) which standard sails are made from is prohibitively difficult to dye. Nylon takes dye much more easily. I have read that Nylon isn't suitable for a mainsail because it stretches, but with a small sail like on a sunfish will this really be that much of an issue? I'm not planning on racing this boat, but on the other hand, I don't want it to be a complete slug in the water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Strange Tanks

Nylon is not a good material for a mainsail (it is to stretchy) and if you ended up using Bainbridge nylon Ripstop spinnaker cloth for the sail, such material has been coated with a resin of some sort that would probably prevent it taking dye very well. I would opt for white 3.8 OZ dacron (the softest kind you can get) and then spray the design on with spray paint.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back