Pan Am Pre Trials

I had received this message about 2 weeks ago that was sent to the
class board of directors, and realised tonight there are some really
important people (everybody else) out there that hadn't seen this message, so I am passing it on. Tom L. Katterheinrich
The following message was originally sent by Vic Mannibg
Hi All,

First I would like to wish each of you a Very Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for the New Year.

I received a call from U.S. Sailing asking the Class to hold a Pan Am Pre-Trial run off in 2006 to qualify a U. S. representative for Sunfish in the Pan Am games to be held in Bolivia for 2007. As we did in 2003, this is a request for clubs to put in a bid to host the event. A final selection will be made by February and published in March. The event should be held some time during 2006 at the discretion of the selected club.

I am attaching a copy of the NOR that Sarasota Sailing Club prepared for the 2003 event as an example of what to expect. Sarasota hosted a three day event and had 80 + competitors. Since this is a U.S. Sailing Pre-Trial event, clubs may not charge an entry fee, however fees for food, charters and souvenirs may be. As done previously I am asking the Class to approve up to $1500.00 to support the event to be paid to the selected club for gas, food for regatta workers, to cover the cost of bring judges in and for trophies.

Please check with your club or clubs in your area to see if one is willing to host this event and submit a written request from the club stating that they are interested in hosting the event and a proposed date. Send the request to the Class regatta chairman Susan Mallows. I would like to put together a list of those clubs willing to host the event by January 31st and have you all select a club by mid February.

The one questions that always come up since this is a U.S. Sailing open event: Do individual wanting to compete, have to be a Class member? The Answer is Yes! They must a Class member or join at the event to compete in the Pre-Trial and must be a Class member in 2007 to participate in the Pan Am Games in 2007. This is the same format used in the past two Pan Am Game Pre-Trials and the same formula used for the Worlds. The past two clubs that have hosted the event are the Rochester Canoe Club and Sarasota Sailing Squadron.

Happy Holidays

Vic Manning

Back