Painting the Stripes this weekend - Roll and tip or Spray?

JohnnyVan

I am going to mask and paint a blue strip down the center this weekend.
The underlying coats are semigloss White.
Rustoleum's spray paints have quite a few more choices of blues than their
Marine Topside paint which only has "Navy blue". Am I better off sticking to the marine paint or have folks had
good results with the spray cans.

Regards,
JV

I used the Topside "Navy blue" paint and was very happy with the results. I sprayed the coaming with Rustoleum white and it took quite a while for it to cure. I've had to touch it up a few times.

Marine Topside paint which only has "Navy blue". Am I better off sticking to the marine paint or have folks had

Regards,
JV
Navy blue will be HOT to the touch on a sunny day!

BB, I didn't sit on the blue strip so it wasn't an issue. I suppose if the whole deck was navy blue then it would be hot but the sides along the cockpit were white and were cool as a cucumber.

Marine Topside paint which only has "Navy blue".
Am I better off sticking to the marine paint or have folks had

Regards,
JV
Not only does Rustoleum have lots of blue shades, you can drive an hour away and not be able to find the same blue on any shelves! :confused:

Buy what you need, and add a can. :cool:

As mentioned, Rustoleum takes its time at curing. OTOH, the finish is never brittle.

Three tips with Rustoleum:

1) Before setting the can down, use a cotton rag to clean the spraying head. Press to draw any liquid paint from the spray head aperture. (Prevents clogging).

Rustoleum recommends xylol for thinning and cleanup. There must be something better! :rolleyes:

2) Keep workpiece horizontal. While spraying, spray from near surface to far surface. (Applies to any spray paint).

3) If masking tape is used, remove it promptly after the job is satisfactorily completed. Otherwise, damp paint will creep under the tape, making fuzzy edges.

Smaller surfaces, like the splashguard, turn out smoother and more professional-looking, than broad surfaces.

For large areas, if possible, spray in a semi-enclosed area. Avoid spraying in any breeze. If unavoidable, hang tarps to reduce lost and misdirected spray.

Look for 3M Fine Line tape in the paint section, worth the money and works better that the standard blue tape.

Post pics when you're done!

Back