Class Politics Painting the hull

Chris123

Beat-up old hull -- gelcoat so thin in places you can see the glass. Refinished with epoxy paint. Paint is arguably "improved beyond the original" in that it is more durable, but it certainly isn't any faster than good gelcoat. Legal?

The question of refinishing and improved beyond original needs to be compared against purpose and result. Certainly some of us are capable of grabbing a brand new Laser, sanding for a while, [painting, sanding and polishing and creating a boat better than the original.

That is not what the Class has decided it wants to have happen and the practice is banned.

The person who has a ratted out old boat and who paints it with a perfect paintjob but whose boat is still a flexible old Laser has not cheated either.

What do I think? I think a Laser which is not better than one you can go buy in the store is fine.

My belief? Anyone who is capable of making a "bettter than new boat" knows exactly why it is better and knows when he has created that better product.

So, don't do that.

The question of refinishing and improved beyond original needs to be compared against purpose and result. Certainly some of us are capable of grabbing a brand new Laser, sanding for a while, [painting, sanding and polishing and creating a boat better than the original.

That is not what the Class has decided it wants to have happen and the practice is banned.

The person who has a ratted out old boat and who paints it with a perfect paintjob but whose boat is still a flexible old Laser has not cheated either.

What do I think? I think a Laser which is not better than one you can go buy in the store is fine.

My belief? Anyone who is capable of making a "bettter than new boat" knows exactly why it is better and knows when he has created that better product.

So, don't do that.

Back