Painting my laser

I’m a proud owner of a 1989 laser and It’s got a couple of scrapes on it. So I’m wanting to repaint it but I found I saw that you have to use different paints depending on its serial number. Any suggestions?

It never was painted. It was gelcoated which is much more durable. It’s usually best to just live with the scratches.

As you're from Sussex, I assume your boat was built by Performance Sailcraft Europe in Banbury. It's most likely then that the deck and below-the-waterline gelcoat colour (or maybe the whole boat) is what's called "Dawn Grey". You can buy that here: Dawn Grey Gelcoat - 75ml

_

You're welcome! But now if I remember it right, the basic colour of the mid-1980s PSE boats was a very plain white. I don't know when that changed to dawn grey; it's possible that your boat can be fixed with a basic white gelcoat filler. If I were you I'd go to the club and compare the colours of different vintages. Boats with a sail number beginning with 14 or 15 definitely have a dawn grey deck (assuming they are all PSE-built). Is yours the same?

You might want to take and post some photos of your boat with a sheet of white paper for contrast. (And maybe some friends' boats, too.) I think I'm going to do a comparison myself with my club's boats when I get there the next time... which may not happen until at least three months from now :oops:

_

Very old coloured lasers can be painted with two pack epoxy, need to repair all the cracks and scratches 1st though. Great finish can be achieved with foam roller (Dulux) application "tipped off" with a foam brush.

Back