Painting My 1970´s Sunfish

limo7757

I am an experienced laser sailor, but I have recently got a sunfish from the mid-1970s and have yet to sail it. I ran into some important screws being rotted and rusted and so I am trying to restore it before i take it out. I want to paint both the deck and hull but I´m getting lost on what I need to do. I've looked at rustoleum and interlux paints. But I don´t know which I should use for what. And I dont know how I should go about starting and what steps to do for the painting process. Do you recommend priming? And what grit sandpaper should I use, and how often would I need to be sanding? Do I need to get any paint thinner? And would it be the same process for both the hull and deck or no?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I am also confused about any work that may need to be done to the gelcoat and how that applies. The current paint job is really rough and was done poorly. I´m hoping to get a clean glossy finish.

If the boat has been painted then most likely the gelcoat underneath was damaged or repaired, so you won't be doing gelcoat work.

Do you have pictures of the boat?

I am also confused about any work that may need to be done to the gelcoat and how that applies. The current paint job is really rough and was done poorly. I´m hoping to get a clean glossy finish.
Since the current paint is “really rough” you’ll want to start by sanding everything down (work your way to a 220 grit or so) and prepping well for fresh paint. Any leaks/repairs need to be addressed, so do a leak test before painting. There are YouTube videos and lots of info on this forum about how that’s done. I know you’re anxious to paint but that’s the last step. When you’re ready to paint there are several choices- Rustoleum Marine is probably the cheapest and it works fine. Color selection is limited. I also like Duralux- sold at Home Depot (better selection online). I was very happy with the results of this paint. TotalBoat, Interlux are also excellent and more colors are offered.

I plan on fixing a hole in the deck, and i have some screw holes to patch up. But then I think I will be ready to paint. The bottom of the boat is rough as well, but I didn't want to fight the trailer yesterday for pictures. But luckily it seems to be sound. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6637.jpeg
    IMG_6637.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6642.jpeg
    IMG_6642.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6639.jpeg
    IMG_6639.jpeg