Painting Laser top sides

CT onion

I am going to paint the top sides (hull above the waterline) but don't have any reference lines for the true line. The hull is an older one that was all white. I am trying to give the hull a color like the newer boats. Is there a template or dimension guides to assist in getting the lines correct?

I doubt it published anywhere - you'll either need to go measure/photograph some hulls, or find someone willing to send you the info..

If you are in CT, let me know where and I can point you towards locations where you can measure some hulls

Thanks. I am in Fairfield and so know where to go to measure some boats. Thought maybe somewhere out there might be some template info. I'll wait a bait to see if someone else can help.

Hey CT.
Fastest way to find the numbers you want will be to measure what you want to copy.
Find a boat in your club with the gel job you're emulating, measure how far down the stem the colour stripe goes, across the transom I think it's 5mm into the top of the actual hole for the bung ( bung fitting removed ).

Then it's a straightforward process - sturdy level trestle, flip boat onto it hull up deck down, ( be great to have a laser level but a simple home made water level can be perfecto ).
The only flat surface being the transom - start there with some masking tape, with your known stem measurement marked with tape .. you need to raise the stern with flat timbers until your marks are perfectly level with the stem marks ( to account for the rocker ).
Then run your levels along the hull sides, tape out along the marks, job done.
Laser level ftw here

Do you want the measurements for this style ? Prior to them switching to single color hulls (you can have any color you want sir, as long as it's grey) , this was the standard in North America. It's higher than the actual waterline)

phoca_thumb_l_10.jpg

Lolz, onions man, you keep spamming the tentmaker....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The colours are waterline over here..

Do you want the measurements for this style ? Prior to them switching to single color hulls (you can have any color you want sir, as long as it's grey) , this was the standard in North America. It's higher than the actual waterline)

phoca_thumb_l_10.jpg

Worth pointing out that the 3rd pic in Voodoos post is a brand new boat so they still make them like this if you want them. Might be a vinyl wrap rather than coloured gelcoat though.

Back