Painting boat bottom

John Bradley

I am a new owner of a vintage Capri 14.2 The boat bottom is blue and the pain is somewhat chalky. I have cleaned it with boat cleaner and a good brush, but it still is chalky. I want to paint it (have marine boat paint) but not sure if I should sand off the old paint, use a primer, or just paint over it.
I think this is the original blue paint as it is quite different consistency from the upper white paint.
anyone out there who knows what is best?
Thanks for your help, Captain John

John, The paint on your boats bottom was probably added by a previous owner. Probably to cover up scratches or repairs as these boats are usually kept on trailers. The paint, IF it is true bottom paint is toxic to humans if inhaled. Extreme care MUST be used if sanding is to be done. The safest thing to do would be to have a dealer check it out first. If it is just deck paint, a light sanding, wipe down with accitone and re-cote with a good marine grade paint. I would not use true bottom paint due to price and safety precautions. Besides, these boats dont cost as much as a new bottom job done by a dealer. Good luck, and keep us posted. Charley

Back