Paint touch up?

Sailkb

I have an old boat I have spruced up and ready to sail in a few weeks. I registered it and am ready to place decals on the boat. I heat, blow-dried off the old decals and they came right off. However, under that are 'older' letters that were originally painted on. I tried scrapping them but that's not going to work. Take a look at the picture and if anyone can give me a suggestion without painting the whole hull, let me know.

Attachments

• Letters.jpg
    Letters.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 32
Would a course of wet sanding work? If not you could just paint from the chine to the sheer and skip the bottom.

><> Minas man <><

Quick and dirty:

1. Spray paint to cover up the numbers

2. Put on the new numbers

3. Grab a beer to welcome the new season

4. Go sailing

I vote with Wavedancer. If you don't like that idea, get some rubber gloves, a rag and some lacquer thinner and try to get them off. If that does not work, I vote again with Wavedancer. BB

I have read on other sites that easy-off oven cleaner
might solve this problem, but I never tried this myself.

Sunfish65

Easyoff will remove them, but if its on a second too long, your gel turns to well, gel. Done that. I vote for sanding or even buffing with hi cut compound after the stickum is off. If you need to sand, then buff the whole side.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will do a little wet sanding, touch up with spay paint and go with it.

Back