Paint Thinner and Gelcoat

Prindle2

I started removing some spray paint from the gel coat on the boat I just bought. The razor was working well, but there was one part that was not coming up. I was going to use rubbing and polishing compound to lift it, but read an article saying not to use compounds on the gel-coat because they put little noticeable scratches the surface. Could I use paint thinner or will that mess up the gel-coat? What would be the best technique to remove the paint?

Thank you for your help,

Matt

Matt,

If judicious scraping will not work, conventional paint thinner will propbably not lift the remaining paint you are trying to remove. Try a little acetone in a small area to see if it works, but you may have to go to a mildly abrasive rubbing compound that is specially formulated for fiberglass/gelcoat. 3M makes one that I have used. It is expensive but you don't have to use much of it. The spray paint that you are trying to remove may be a spray epoxy that conventional petrochemicals will not "cut." Another idea is to use a little dab of paint remover (Zar, ZipStrip or one of the usual over the counter the brands. It is pretty strong but should not harm the gelcoat if you completely remove it and then clean the stripped surface with soap and water and then a little acetone. Use rubber gloves, eye protection and have plenty of ventelation for these projects as all of these chemicals and their fumes are somewhat nasty.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Easy off oven cleaner might work as well and you may have it around the house already. As Alan said clean up well when done.

Back