Paint Problems

acs026

so I recently painted the bottom of my sunfish. and it appears the paint is scratching very easily. Not sure if I missed a step or did something wrong.

After i did my repairs I redid the gelcoat in those areas. I did not go through the gel coat in other areas. I then primed the surface and did 3 coats of paint. Always waiting at least24 hours in between coats.

Any ideas of the problem?

Thanks

so I recently painted the bottom of my sunfish. and it appears the paint is scratching very easily. Not sure if I missed a step or did something wrong.

After i did my repairs I redid the gelcoat in those areas. I did not go through the gel coat in other areas. I then primed the surface and did 3 coats of paint. Always waiting at least 24 hours in between coats. Any ideas of the problem?
Even though you waited 24 hrs between coats that's no guarantee the paint was actually dry. Temp and humidity have a role in drying so the only way to be sure is test for softness. If one underlying layer didn't setup all the way everything painted over it won't be attached solidly. If you have a soft layer all you can do now is strip and redo.

Back