Paint Laser Hull Pink

Meridian

Bought an early 80's Hull for my 15 yr old daughter for local club sailing. Yellow Hull is badly faded but in good condition. I am considering painting the hull and daughter suggested pink (no laughter please). I have been searching the site and see recommendations of various 1 part and 2 part epoxy and poly Interlux and similar products. None of them seem to be available in Pink.

Anyone have suggestions for an appropriate finish that I can get in bright pink ?

Thanks ... seriously...

You might try Imron. They claim 7000 available colors. I've seen plenty of boats painted with automotive paints and they lasted as well as the marine paints.

Expect some OCS's with a pink hull!

After running races with big fleets, I can tell you that being distinctive on the finish line can be a big help when things get tight and numbers are blocked from view.

I call out numbers that I can see, and if I can't see the number I call out hull and deck colors. (ie. white-white, pink-white, blue-gray) The recorders note the colors on the sheets and of course its on the tape as well. I have one or two people whose job it is to keep track of the boats and get the number when they get to a point where they can be seen. They jot down the numbers and we go back and fill in the spots where I just got colors.

Personally, I'd rather have people get my finish right and don't worry so much about the start.

We all appreciate that you want to please your daughter, but do consider that a pink boat might be harder to sell (or sell at a lower value).

Pink Hull---why not! If it gets her out on the water having fun that's pretty cool. It's an early 80s hull so I doubt the resale value would suffer too much if at all. Besides, it might be just enough to get other girls into the sport when it comes time to sell it.

hi there
about thee years ago i purchased a older laser for my daughter, my wife insisted we paint it pink . we repaired all the damage then sanded it wet and dry paper .we then sprayed it with enamel undercoat and sanded it again with wet and dry paper. we then mixed some red & white international brightside polyurethane together to acheive the right shade we then thinned it with thinners and srayed it on with a $19 spray gun we acheived a smooth shiny surface wich looks great, the finish is tough and after three seasons of hard use still looks as good as when we first painted it. have attatched a pic.
cheers

Attachments

• pink laser.jpg
    pink laser.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 180
I'm not sure what the issue is.

Performance Sailcraft Australia have built pink hulls over the years, solid colours in the late 80's, two tone boats in the early 90's and stripes in the mid 90's. They've always been popular with the female sailors. The factory used to do special orders upon request, I'm not sure if they still do.

You should try international paints they should have a pink or red to pink, cause i just repainted my boat and used international.

hi there
about thee years ago i purchased a older laser for my daughter, my wife insisted we paint it pink . we repaired all the damage then sanded it wet and dry paper .we then sprayed it with enamel undercoat and sanded it again with wet and dry paper. we then mixed some red & white international brightside polyurethane together to acheive the right shade we then thinned it with thinners and srayed it on with a $19 spray gun we acheived a smooth shiny surface wich looks great, the finish is tough and after three seasons of hard use still looks as good as when we first painted it. have attatched a pic.
cheers

lol... the pink is wrong to me on several levels... but it looks like you did a great job painting it...

I finally got my pink boat!

I'm managing my club's Learn to Sail program, and when we repaired and painted 3 of the Lasers, I painted one of them pink. I mixed the epoxy paint and the color is a deep pink. We are naming the boat Panther. Inexplicably, some of the older teens said they'd sail it if it were named Hello Kitty.

I myself actually have a pink laser, and I love it! It was never painted, but was the original manufactured color. If you paint it a decent pink it will look nice...eye catching but not ostentatious.

I've seen pink opti's before, I saw one being repaired and it looked like they mixed the pink, they even did sparkled on part of it

It would probably look best if you did a lighter pink on the sides and white on the bottom, or even pink pink on the sides and white on the bottom

In junior sailing I used to sail against a pink boat fairly regularly. It was the only one I ever saw, but I think it was custom ordered from Vanguard just before they sold to LP.

Photo by Tim Wilkes
pinklaser.jpg

If you're painting it just for the colour, that's fine and it only adds a couple of kg to the hull weight. However, there is no need to paint it if the gelcoat is in good nick. A rubdown and polish will have it sparkling again.

Or polish the hull and get a vinyl sheet made up to wrap it above the waterline. Much lighter and probably not too different in price if you have a local friendly vinly shop

Back