pain when hiking

LPW

Hi
I find that when i attempt to straight leg hike the pressure placed on my calfs as they are squashed against the sidedeck makes hiking very uncomfortable. Has anyone got any advice as how to avoid this, ie toe strap length, or is it just a matter of gritting your teeth and getting on with it?:confused:
LPW

LPW said:
Hi
I find that when i attempt to straight leg hike the pressure placed on my calfs as they are squashed against the sidedeck makes hiking very uncomfortable. Has anyone got any advice as how to avoid this, ie toe strap length, or is it just a matter of gritting your teeth and getting on with it?:confused:
LPW

I don't have this pain, and it's not a good idea to grit your teeth through pain unless maybe there's a gold medal at the end of that particular run. I keep my toe strap as tight as possible for straight leg hiking.

168664 said:
Are you wearing hiking pants?
Yeah im wearing hiking pants which are great but they leave my calfs very exposed. I know what you mean about only gritting your teeth if there's a gold medal at the end, but i don't believe in doing things in half measures. If you are hiking, you might as well be hiking as hard as possible/necessary!

LPW said:
I know what you mean about only gritting your teeth if there's a gold medal at the end, but i don't believe in doing things in half measures. If you are hiking, you might as well be hiking as hard as possible/necessary!

I didn't say you shouldn't hike as hard as possible. You can't sail a Laser properly without hiking hard at times. I said you shouldn't hike through pain. Pain may mean that you are injuring yourself. If it's muscle pain, then build up to it. If it's something else, then you need to find another way, which is what I thought you were looking for.

did you just get into lasers? if so, you just need to learn how to hike. But about the calfs, mine dont hurt. or if they do, i just concentrate so hard that i dont fell it.:) :cool:

I try not to bring any livestock onto the boat during races.:)

Seriously I had similar problems but the hiking pants and tighter toestrap helped.

Sound like your hiking strap might be too tight!

Does it touch the bottom of the cockpit when you apply gentle downward pressure?

You might want to loosen your hiking strap a little bit because it might be making your calf hit the edge of the cockpit, the other idea i have is to just get through it and it will probably get better. also make sure you are hiking off your toes not your ankles.

Play with the hiking strap length. Wherever it is now, try it farther out and tighter in. just make sure that when you strait-leg hike, your legs are actually strait, knees not bent at all, and hiking from somewhere on your foot, not your leg or ankle.

Merrily said:
:D Unfortunately, sometimes there's a chicken on MY boat.

Two separate times I had a fish jump into my boat while going upwind. The first time it scared the heck out of me since it was flopping around in the cockpit trying to get out. Both times I had to stop and catch it to release it into the water.

Cindy Taylor said:
Two separate times I had a fish jump into my boat while going upwind. The first time it scared the heck out of me since it was flopping around in the cockpit trying to get out. Both times I had to stop and catch it to release it into the water.

Or you could take out the cockpit plug and let it fill for an aquarium! Be a little slow though.

i was coaching optis while sailin in some garbagie capri, and one of em capsized about 15 feet outside of a huuuuge bunker pod, and this was right around the time the bluefish started movin in so they were like jumpin at all the bunker, and all the instructors who were there were freaking out, we thought this kid was gonna lose somee fingers to a blue. luckily, he was fine and didnt even notice the abundance of bunker/blues right near him
i also had to sail through this huge bunker pod to get to him and i was freakin out too

and now im gonna stop hijackin this thread

Several of us have had mullets (nasty slimy fish food) jump aboard while we're racing in Galveston Bay. If they just jump on the deck, they either flop off or can be swiped off (leaving behind some yucky slime, of course)I had one jump into the cockpit, and that lil guy needed help getting over the gunwale. Yuk yuk yuk...nasty lil buggers.

Back