Padded shorts?

Eyeper

Hi, I'm 72 and in decent shape, In fact, I now feel more comfortable hiking out on my Laser than when I sit on the deck. Why? I have a bony, no-padded butt! Has anyone recommendations for shorts that have some decent seat padding? Not looking for hiking shorts or anything with stiffeners, just a bit of padding that will stand up to actively sailing the boat.

Last edited:
Go you! I can only hope to be sailing like you when I’m 72
Like you I‘m not born with sufficient padding for hard dinghy sailing, so I have two solutions: on a pair of sailing shorts with deep rear pockets, I’ve cut and fitted some slices of firm foam from a carry mat. Works well. Later I shelled out a minor fortune on Zhik’s Deckbeater pant, which have padding on the whole back side, thighs as well as the knees. They come in a shorts version as well. Am very comfortable around the boat in both.

Thanks for your response, Morten! I've ordered the Zhik Deckbeaters just now and will have them by midweek. Yeah, they're expensive, but I am very impressed by the (also expensive!) quality of the Zhik P2 PFD I bought a couple of years ago. Hope these work as well. I need them to work over or under my wetsuit so we'll see about sizing.

I've ordered the Zhik Deckbeaters just now ... I need them to work over or under my wetsuit so we'll see about sizing.
I've worn my Deckbeaters (shorts) both by themselves and on top of my wetsuit. They're quite stretchy so the sizing isn't that critical.

Have used them in the Laser only for training, but in the Lightning they've been perfect up to championship level. Some of the best pieces of sailing clothing I've ever acquired.

_

Back