overpriced sunfish?

kriss

I was looking at an alcort '70 red/white stripe sunfish in like new condition-hull and sail..the seller wants $1400..firm.did you ever see a price like that?

I was looking at an alcort '70 red/white stripe sunfish in like new condition-hull and sail. The seller wants $1400..firm. Did you ever see a price like that?
"Like New" can be a pretty subjective statement without some objective comparisons to support the claim.

• Does the serial number on the deck tag fall between 70000 and 79000?
  • A 1970 will have the older style rudder. This would need all the pieces present and in good working order.
  • It will also have the metal bailer. This needs to be in good working order to meet the claim.
  • The cockpit will not have a storage compartment.
  • Is the hull bottom firm like a piece of masonite or does it give in spots with mild hand pressure, oilcan fashion?
  • Is it a new sail or has the original been kept pristine? A new or like new sail would have a crinkly feel somewhat like craft paper from the fabric locking resin coating.
  • Has the hull been maintained like new or is it re-painted, restored to resemble like new?
  • Is there a trailer?

I don't think the For Sale section here keeps a history of past sales as reference, but you can look through the history at SailingTexas to see what well kept (and not so well kept) boats have sold for in the past.
http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99sunfish.html

You can readily spot overpriced boats because they look like they should have sold, but haven't moved in months or even upwards of a year.

Like Wayne says, it's all subjective. I can find a boat in true good shape for less than half of that one ( and ready to sail). You have to shop around and kick the tires. You will then get a feel for what your buck can get you, in your area. For $1400 and without a trailer, it had better be in near perfect, (again... it's subjective), condition for that age.

Good luck, and keep kicking tires, there is always a deal out there.

Careful with bare hulls. Tally the cost of refitting along with the asking price and frequently it comes to more than a complete, ready to sail boat would cost.

Think of it like a TV with no guts at all... it's the bulky part you see, but not worth squat empty.

I found and bought on Craigslist - $275 for a '74 Sunfish in excellent condition except the sail was worn, and latter $500 for a very good '76 Sunfish WITH a brand new sail.

$1400 for a '70 Sunfish? Hate to be the fool who buys it and finds out later what a sucker they were...

If this Sunfish is indeed "like new", I wouldn't call the buyer a fool. Yes, it may be overpriced, but waiting for a 'perfect' second-hand boat at a 'perfect price' may take a long time (and effort). Time that you could have spent sailing.....

More in general, good boats are more likely to be hitting the market in the upcoming fall season.

$1400 ! I'll say it: that's over priced for a 40 year old boat. For twice that you can get this years sunfish!

Back