Overhead storage of a Sunfish

imported_Brad

I'm making plans for storing my SF above my carport. I've heard about the double pulley systems, but I have another thought and wondered if anyone had any ideas related to this.
I would like to suspend my SF with rope and single pulleys and two 2" straps under the hull. I would like the entire system to reduce down to one line - how do I do that (two ropes into one, etc).
Also, I then want the one line to go to a trailer winch mounted on a post. I got one that is rated for 1100 lbs. It says you aren't supposed to use it for suspending weight for long periods of time, so I thought about mounting a clam cleat just above the winch on the post to hold the weight.
Will the winch give me enough cranking power without using a double pulley system to make it easy to lift the boat, or do I still need to use the double pulley. The winch says it has a 43:1 work ratio.
Thanks for any help.
Brad

Brad,
I use the double pully set up, it makes it much easier to lift the SF off the roof of my Durango. I tried the single pully set up, lots of effort to lift a SF :mad: . The double uses more rope, but so what, it is so much easier to lift :) (I do it in steps, one end at a time). You will need a few extra pullies to direct the lift lines to the winch that you are planning to use. It is possible to have the winch pull both lines at the same time, make sure that they are the same length (this method did not work for me with out a winch). To secure the SF for storage, I use a pair of 1" rachet straps, one near the mast well, the other across the rear of the cockpit attached to the rafters on each side of the fish. With out the winch, I use a pair of "horned" cleats (bow line and stern line). I would recommend lifting you boat deck down to reduce any strain on the bow handle. Check some other posts for more ideas.

Brad,

There is an off-the shelf system that Harken makes for the exact purpose you are talking about. If you have the money and want it easy, then I would just get that system. If not, maybe look at their setup and duplicate it with cheaper blocks.

Harken system

I bet you could come up with something very similar and WAAAAY cheaper at Lowes.

Tim

I lift the boat with a double pulley and one wide webbing strap just aft of the splashguard where it will balance. Once at the height I desire, I add two more static straps; one at the bow and another at the stern. Your 43:1 winch is plenty. I feel safer underneath with the extra straps, instead of all the harness going down to one line. I vote for hull down storage indoors and when cartopping. Also, make sure your pulley purchase (beam/ rafter) can handle the weight easily.

khilbert,
I have read so many anti-hulll down articles and posts. I was wondering how you decided to carry and store your SF hull down. I'm interested in doing this also. I plan on having it hang from two 2" wide straps - one below the mast tube and one just aft of the cockpit. I will transport it and hang it above my carport this way. Other people have talked a lot about too much stress on the hull - especially when transporting.
Also, with using the 43:1 trailer winches do you think I need to use the double pulley system, or can I just use the winch. I have two winches. I plan on having one go to the 2" strap under the mast tube and one winch will go under the hull behind the cockpit.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Brad

Well since you'll only be lifting a max of 140 pounds, that 43:1 winch means you'll be pulling about 10 pounds including friction.

My lifter is simply 2 inch water pipe crossed drilled for some 2 foot 1/2 metal rods for turning handles and the pipe is set in holes in a 2x6 nailed to the roof and side wall of the garage. Then 4 ropes are attached to the water pipe and run through 4 pulleys screwed into a garage beam. 2 near the front for the front strap, and 2 near the back of the boat for the rear strap.
A few turns of the handles and the boat comes off a trailer or roof rack slicker than snot.

I had a winch originally, but the problem was WAY TO MUCH line needed for the reduction. For every foot of lift I pulled a huge amount through the winch.

Brad:
Check out the PM I sent you. Basically, properly distributed athwartships to engage the keelson, the stress on the hull would, IMO, be negligible.

FWIW, I just bought the Harken Hoister part HAR7803 (4 point lift, 145 lbs capacity, 6:1 purchase) from mauriprosailing.com for $87 + shipping. That was best price I saw online.

Back