What's new

Outriggers?

JerryP

Has anyone put outriggers, training wheels on the sunfish, Sailfish.
I would like something to stabilize it, until I get back in the swing of it.
Seems counterproductive to spend more time climbing in, than sailing.

beldar boathead

I have never heard of such a thing. I think by the time you acquire parts to do this and then somehow adapt them to the Sailfish, you would be better off spending the time actually sailing and learning how to keep you on the Sailfish and the Sailfish upright. I also wonder how the boat would sail with outriggers. There would be lots of drag and I think the boat would handle poorly.

I'd suggest picking a day with light winds for your next sail - maybe 5-7 knots max. You may need to go out earlier in the day to find these lighter breezes. I'd follow the guidance of the "learn to sail in 3 days" brochure. I'd also carefully observe where the wind is coming from - flags around the body of water or a piece of yarn will help - and keep the wind direction in mind. In this lighter wind, you should be able to keep yourself roughly centered on the boat. Sit between the handrails on the non-skid part of the deck - these lighter breezes will help you get familiar with the boat without needing to reposition yourself for everything to stay in balance.

Lastly, someone else pointed out that a Sailfish isn't the most stable boat - but people have had fun on them for 50+ years, so I think you will be rewarded by the time you spend on the boat. You should wear a life vest while sailing anyway, and it will help you float high to get back in more easily.

Good luck and have fun!

JerryP

Thanks guys, I am sure outriggers would be a drag monster, which goes against the whole point of a Sailfish.
Thought I would ask though.

AdvKayaker

I wen't out a few days ago for my first time. Obviously I don't know much yet but I do know this. The rudder is quite sensitive to input. It'll get you into and out of trouble pronto. Don't sheet in as hard as was said above. Not that it helped stability in anyway but seating position makes a huge performance difference.

George_NJ

I did see a youtube video;
with an older guy who made outriggers for his Sunfish, he said something along the lines that he was getting too old to be thrown out and to be able to right the boat on his own.

L&VW

The "outrigger" makes his Minifish into a proa. Put the "outrigger" on the other side, to take advantage of prevailing winds, and you get a proa more suited to the opposite hemisphere. If he'd set his "outrigger" on its edge, he'd have an advantage on drag. :cool:

Still, he's fixed one problem, while introducing another. :confused:

Reactions: tag

bhm

JerryP

Has anyone put outriggers, training wheels on the sunfish, Sailfish.
I would like something to stabilize it,

[IMG alt="beldar boathead"]https://sailingforums.com/data/avatars/m/9/9340.jpg?1469313193[/IMG]
beldar boathead

I have never heard of such a thing.

Here is a more sensible version of outriggers on a Sunfish (or in this case, a Minifish). This mounting drills through the outward-facing rolled gunwhales without breaking the flotation seal. (I believe these rolled gunwhales are standard on all Mini's, and all standard Sunfish after 1989.) I just finished this today, on the Minifish I brought home a week or so ago. These are the same outriggers from the Sailboats-to-go sailrig that I use on my kayak, canoe and Nelson sailing dinghy. All the STG gear is modular, so all I needed to add to the Mini was the crossbar that the arms plug into. The only non-stock addition is the wood blocks, to lift the crossbar up above the curved deck. Weather permitting, I may sail this for the first time tomorrow.

DSC04968.JPG

I want the outriggers on it at least to start with since I've only ever sailed boats with outriggers so far, and I don't want to add too many new things at once (since I am also new to daggerboard-tiller sailing, as opposed to leeboards plus steering oars). And probably I will leave the crossbar on it even if I eventually sail it without the outriggers, since I also have the STG big wheels that plug into the same crossbar and make the boat into its own dolly:

DSC04964.JPG

Last edited: