Outhaul

laser161116

I have the new rigging system and I want to upgrade to the 6:1 outhaul, the one that has two single blocks at the goosneck. Does anybody know how to rig this? How much line do I need, how do I tie everything, ect.

Thanks, Max

drlaser.org has very good systems for outhaul setups.

just read the whole thing first to see what is legal and what is not, just looking at the illustrations doesnt tell you what is legal.

laser161116 said:
I have the new rigging system and I want to upgrade to the 6:1 outhaul, the one that has two single blocks at the goosneck. Does anybody know how to rig this? How much line do I need, how do I tie everything, ect.

Thanks, Max

You need to buy on additional block w/becket. You can reuse the exisiting secondary outhaul control line (the one that runs down to the cam cleat), but you will need to get a longer primary line (the one that runs from the fairlead at the end of the boom, thru the clew, back thru the fairlead and then foward to the new block w/becket) The length of the new primary should be approx the length of the boom - You can use a smaller diameter as well. 3-4mm spectra is fine.

You move the single block that used to be at the end of the primary control line onto the loop that goes around the mast (which is already holding one single block, it will now hold two single blocks)

You run the secondary control line thru the cleat, the turning block at the deck, up the mast, thru one single block at the gooseneck, out to the sheave on the single block w/becket, back to the second single block at the mast and then back to the becket on the single block w/becket.

Steve at Rooster Sailing www.roostersailing.com has devised a similar method and also sells a kit.
Instead of putting a second block at the goose neck he attaches it to the redundant cleat on the boom. This gives the same result just slightly easier to rig and less lines running the length of the boom.

Phil

Philip,

Stupid question. What country is roostersailing.com located in? I think England but their website doesn't say. I'm trying to figure out if their prices are better than APS's.

Thanks

It is in the UK. Roster is better for rigging and ideas than the official UK Laser supplier.

Phil

Back