Outhaul

Hey, I love all the smarts here. I have a 96 wt all the upgrades. My outhall, a metal sleeve over the boom wont slide. It might just be sand or grit. Any suggestions on lub for this problem.

This is a common problem with the clew sleeve setup. A lot of people who have used it have gone back to a velcro strap.

I think it may depend on how you set your inhaul bungee cord. If it's loaded assymetrically, it will probably bind. It may work when you test it on shore, but certainly not out on the water during a windy day. You need an arrangement that pulls equally from both sides.

Or just use the strap.

This is a common problem with the clew sleeve setup. A lot of people who have used it have gone back to a velcro strap.
That's the common experience.
But, for now some years, I have worked on the problem of the "non slide"-effect of the clew-tie-down sleeve.

Aft intensive investigations, I found a paste that works sufficient:

It's called "Molykote DX Paste" of Dow Corning Corporation (Midland-Michigan, U.S.A.).

It is used for the machines in the so called food industry originally.

Put some of the paste to the boom and some to the sleeve (inner side). The colour of the paste is sort of white and doesn't has any effect to the sail or the ropes. The paste holds for about 3 races (Mc Lube's Sailkote spray, mentioned by ryan199538, doesn't even hold one race in intensive spray of water.). The laboratory engineer of Dow Corning GmbH at GER once told me, that DX paste is best for this way of use (alu to steel, water-contaminated contact, to saltwater, too ).

I have given a tube of Molykote DX Paste to Tracy, former ILCA-NA Chairman (Merrily is my witness, in this case ), to test it and to also to give some of the DX paste to Chris Humphries (ILCA's Technical Officer) for tests, too. Unfortunately, I never got any feedback of Tracy.

To send it directly to Chris (who made a request to me about this DX paste, via email) is impossible for me, unfortunately (for me) Clive lives in Australia, to far away for me to post it trustful and cheap to him.

How ever, I also donated a tube of Molykote DX Paste to my friend, drLaser/Istanbul. Fortunately he got the paste and tested it. He said it works as desired / sufficient.

Here is a link to a Website (UK):
http://www.watchtool.co.uk/molykote-lithium-based-paste-tube-p-7587.html

Additional hint:
You also want to add some "UHMW Tape" (UHMW= UltraHighMolecularWeight) to the inner side of the sleeve. APS offers it ( http://www.apsltd.com/c-4491-low-frictiontapes.aspx )
and sells it under the name: "Mast Wear Strips", too ( http://www.apsltd.com/c-2224-laser-sparsandfittings.aspx).

Ciao
LooserLu

I used to have that problem and I will not go back to using a velcro strap. Get a spray can of non-oil non-silicone dry lube at the hardware store. Spray around the end of the boom. It lets the sleeve move up and down freely.

Dry Teflon (PTFE) is sold by many companies other than McLube. Stainless steel running on bare aluminum definitely needs a bit of lube. I spray it in the main sheet sheaves as well. Almost like having ball bearings.

it could also be salt if you've been sailing in salt water,

first try rinsing it in fresh water, then see if you can take the sleeve off to get any debris/corrosion off, if you can't get it off easy enough then try to get it sliding, you might need some lube to get it to budge

since it's metal on metal you'll need some type of lubricant for it to work the way it's supposed to, make sure you put more lube on pretty frequently to keep it from locking up

you'll also want to dry rig and check your inhaul before you go sailing,

best of luck

I agree with the others...Teflon spray works well.

Shop around a bit, I found a really good one in the UK called GT85, for around £3 a can, from memory Prolube was around £8 and Mclube around £11 at the time. Those prices could be wrong, I just know it was less than half the price of the other two.

I haven't got a sleeve here in NZ yet, so haven't had to buy any.

Back