Outhaul to cockpit arrangement?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I was told it is feasible to lead the mainsail outhaul line forward around the gooseneck and then aft, conveniently down to deck level in order to more easily access and adjust mainsail foot tension while off the wind.

What type of Class legal cleating arrangement at deck is best used to accomplish this? My recollections of Class Rules are that one cleat is allowed on each side of the boat for the sole purpose of restraining the mainsheet, but that no provision is made to allow cleating of the outhaul other than for cleats mounted on the boom.

Since the goosneck is off the centerline of the boat using it as a "turning point" for a line will when the boat is tacked either loosen or tighten the line. Not exactly what you'd want for an outhaul line.
If you look at the lower boom and your position in the boat it's easy to decide where on the boom to locate the cleats for an outhaul and a cunningham that will be easy to reach when tacking. I leave a little extra and use it to form a loop at the end of each line making it easier to grab and adjust when sailing.

Rob,
On the National SF Class page under "Tips and Tricks", location of blocks ond cleats is a diagram showing the general locations of the outhaul cunningham arrangement. Page 352 in the SF Bible also has a picture. If you look close at this picture, the outhaul line runs thru the clam cleat and down to the gooseneck for extra purchase. Page 353 gives the directions for the setup pictured. There are not any provisions in the rules for bringing the outhaul to the deck. Good luck

Forget the old diagrams - there is a new way to rig your outhaul. Dick Tillman writes about it in the new Windward Leg. You put all the purchase on the boom, between the cleat and the clew. Remember, you must use one piece of line for the outhaul. You get a line with a veerrry long tail, and after it goes thru the cleat, take it all the way fwd, around the gooseneck, and then down thru the halyard fairlead (Tillman accidentally calls it the mainsheet fairlead - he meant halyard fairlead :rolleyes: .) Then either tie a handle on it, or tie it to your daggerboard so it is always handy. You will loosen the outhaul at the cleat like normal, but to tighten, you pull on the line coming thru the halyard fairlead. This means as you approach the weather mark on starboard, you can loosen your outhaul, and then as you start upwind on port after the reaches/runs, you can easily retighten the outhaul. Neat innovation!! I don't know if Eduardo started this, but he seems to be the one who popularized it.
BB

Back