outhaul setup questions

Cavi

I just installed my new fittings on the deck of my laser yeasterday. So next weekend I will try out a new outhaul setup. Originally I thought it was not allowed in the rules to hook a optional block to the fairlead on the boom , I thought the outhaul had to go back through it but reading the rules just now it states that an optional block is allowed to be attached to the fairlead as long as the line is anchored to the fairlead or the clew of the sail. Is this correct?
My plan is to anchor to the fairlead, go to a block attached to the clew, then back to a block attachec to the fairlead, then to head up to a double block that is tied to the mast at the gooseneck, turn there then go to a single block that is attached to the jam cleat on the boom, then back to the doubleblock and down to the deck block and to the camcleat on the deck. i did see alot of people using two lines, this just seems cleaner. Does this sound like a good plan?

also, my daggerboard only has one hole on the top of it. In order for me to make a handle, should I drill another hole or just use the single hole? Drilling another hole seems more logical but I do not want to hurt the daggerboard by making another hole that could leave a foam core unprotected?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rule 3(f)ii - The outhaul control line has to pass thru the boom fairlead at least once as a moving line.

So in your plan above, you can't use the block attached to the fairlead.

Also, your idea of anchoring a block on the boom clam cleat doesn't add any additional purchase, as it's not moving. It's just adding more turns/friction.

On the daggerboard - It's up to you, plenty have drilled another hole to make a fore-aft handle, while others use the single hole and do a "stick shift" type handle

Back