Outhaul Rigging Question

msanford

Is there anything unsound, not fast, class illegal, or otherwise plain dumb using something like this carabiner/block on the Laser outhaul clew? I have a typical shackle and single block currently rigged that I find difficult to undo when coming in to dock for quick removal. (BTW I am not into the clew hooks that are sometimes popular with folks).

Any issues? Thanks,
Mark

It's too big. The max size of the sheave is 30 mm, and that's 35. Would be overkill anyway, and might not even fit between the sail and the fairlead.
Something similar but smaller might of course work, but I somehow doubt any such exist on the market.

What's wrong with clew hooks? I've had this on my outhaul for 20 years, and never observed it to be inadequate in any way:

hook-5mm-spring-retainer-r8480-6942-p.jpg

_

Last edited:
I have not seen one with a clip. I like that!

BTW on my link above forget the size. Obviously I would find one that would be a match for the line. However, I just have not really seen pics or anyone live with simply a carabiner with block. To me it just seems easy and should be more common.

Last edited:
There are several smaller blocks with a hook available, but they all look too small for the purpose, and as I suspected, none has a latch.
If you like that 50 mm Wichard safety snap hook, get one separately and lash or shackle a small block to it.

_

The hook LaLi has shown is very popular and personally I think its awesome. Only issue is trying to get a pulley latched onto it, usually give up trying to squeeze it on and just tie it.

My ghetto out haul uses 2x 16mm bow shackles, two 6mm shackles and 2 tiny blocks 15mm? Excuse the twisted lines in the photo.

Gotta love the clew strap.
2D15B652-041B-4D1E-AC25-3FDD7BF129B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Kim, that's not a "ghetto" system... in fact it's so high tech that it breaks the class rules at no fewer than four different points :confused: (More than one shackle /block, end of line tied to a shackle, the line not passing through the fairlead.) If you leave out the other shackle at the clew, the other block and shackles, tie the line to the fairlead, and pass it again through the fairlead when it comes back from the sail, you'll be fine.

Of course none of that matters if you don't race, but just for the information of any racer who might want to copy that (don't) :rolleyes:

But your vang looks great, and I like your use of old-school Riley and Ronstan blocks :)

_

Kim, that's not a "ghetto" system... in fact it's so high tech that it breaks the class rules at no fewer than four different points :confused: (More than one shackle /block, end of line tied to a shackle, the line not passing through the fairlead.) If you leave out the other shackle at the clew, the other block and shackles, tie the line to the fairlead, and pass it again through the fairlead when it comes back from the sail, you'll be fine.
_
Oops :D Yeah this old 70’s punk won’t ever race in this old 70’s Laser

My ghetto out haul uses 2x 16mm bow shackles, two 6mm shackles and 2 tiny blocks 15mm? Excuse the twisted lines in the photo.

Gotta love the clew strap.

Kimbodious - ya my system is very similar to yours on the clue with the strap, shackle, & block. It's adequate for me, but I started the string as I want something really easy to slip off but not a naked hook that could accidentally come off. I think LaLi has a good suggestion above with a clew hook that has a latch on it. I have not found one like that in my brief search but plan to keep my eyes open for one.

You could splice a dogbone or a continuous loop or even a soft shackle and use something like that to attach your shackle to the clew! Splicing is easy and fun using single braid dyneema. Plenty of resources in Youtube to show you how.
9F289493-DEDF-427E-A2B6-182419F96846.jpeg

Continuous loops

2E3274F2-4A95-43D1-9444-3A3F13456290.jpeg

Dogbone

AD920EF0-C370-43D2-95DE-E89DDE09046B.jpeg

Soft shackle

Back