What's new

Outhaul Rigging Question

msanford

Is there anything unsound, not fast, class illegal, or otherwise plain dumb using something like this carabiner/block on the Laser outhaul clew? I have a typical shackle and single block currently rigged that I find difficult to undo when coming in to dock for quick removal. (BTW I am not into the clew hooks that are sometimes popular with folks).

Any issues? Thanks,
Mark

LaLi

It's too big. The max size of the sheave is 30 mm, and that's 35. Would be overkill anyway, and might not even fit between the sail and the fairlead.
Something similar but smaller might of course work, but I somehow doubt any such exist on the market.

What's wrong with clew hooks? I've had this on my outhaul for 20 years, and never observed it to be inadequate in any way:

hook-5mm-spring-retainer-r8480-6942-p.jpg

_

Last edited:

msanford

I have not seen one with a clip. I like that!

BTW on my link above forget the size. Obviously I would find one that would be a match for the line. However, I just have not really seen pics or anyone live with simply a carabiner with block. To me it just seems easy and should be more common.

Last edited:

LaLi

There are several smaller blocks with a hook available, but they all look too small for the purpose, and as I suspected, none has a latch.
If you like that 50 mm Wichard safety snap hook, get one separately and lash or shackle a small block to it.

_

The hook LaLi has shown is very popular and personally I think its awesome. Only issue is trying to get a pulley latched onto it, usually give up trying to squeeze it on and just tie it.