What's new

Outhaul question (legality)

Is it allowable to use a block attached to the eye at the end of the boom (instead of using the eye itself as a turning point). Seems like it would be preferable to not have a bowline (or other knot) plus a moving line both jammed in that small space and rubbing together during adjustments. Or maybe that’s overkill even if legal? Thanks.

LaLi

"The outhaul control line shall be attached to either the end of the boom, the outhaul fairlead, the sail, or a quick release system, and shall pass through the boom outhaul fairlead as a moving line at least once. The outhaul fairlead shall be at least one of the maximum of 6 “Turning Points” permitted by Rule 3(f)i."

From the document to which Jason just linked :rolleyes:

The line actually won't chafe itself in the fairlead if you tie it with half-hitches instead of a bowline; the shape of the fitting keeps the knot from going against the boom, and there is room (although just barely) for a 5 mm line to run.

_

LaLi

An “Optional’ block may be attached to the outhaul fairlead, provided Rule 3(f)ii is also satisfied.
Yes, you can have a block there in addition to, but not instead of a moving line through the fairlead. I don't know if anyone's tried a boom-end 3:1 (or more!) like that, though.

_

Many thanks.
I saw someone doing it that way once (block) and it looked great but it must’ve been a “recreational” setup.
I’m trying not to get used to riggings or equipment that I’ll just have to abandon in an actual race setting, should I get into that. Appreciate the help.