outhaul on standard rig

OwiOwz

Hi there!

I have a standard rig laser, pretty old, but in good condition, and I was sailing yesterday, as I was rigging up I could not find an efficient way of rigging the outhaul!
I have a bobble on each end of the rope, which goes through the fairlead, so there's a bobble on either side, so I can't tie a bowline on the fairlead, go through the clew and back through the fairlead and then through the jam cleat further along the boom.
BUT what I did yesterday was feed one bobble through the clew and then jam cleat the other side, also using a clew strap to keep the sail close to the boom, but the problem was, I couldnt adjust it out on the water, because it wasn't efficient and that it wasnt a smooth run from the fairlead to the jam cleat, if you get me?
any advice for adjustments would be great!
thanks
owain :)

It's just a matter of purchasing and then rigging the gear. The only real work you have to do is to remove the cunningham cleat and eyelet near the mast, and replace them with the 2 turning blocks and deck cleats. Apart from that its a few knots and running lines through blocks.

Forking out the cash is the hardest bit

You can look at rigs on lots of other sailor's boats on Friday, ,and Sunday.

In fact I will donate enough line for your outhaul if you show up

I guess you're right there! And also, I was sailing wednesday with other lasers which has upgrades, and I realised their sail went lower compared to mine, theirs were nearly down on the boom, while mine had a good 2/3 inches off the boom, do you reckon this is to do with the upgrade, or different masts orr?

And im nowhere near texas!! :p

All roads lead to the easter laser regatta

sounds like you have an old sail. is is very very soft??

I guess you're right there! And also, I was sailing wednesday with other lasers which has upgrades, and I realised their sail went lower compared to mine, theirs were nearly down on the boom, while mine had a good 2/3 inches off the boom, do you reckon this is to do with the upgrade, or different masts orr?

And im nowhere near texas!! :p

i think he rigged his cunningham on only one side of the boom, this allows you to pull it closer to the boom.

My sail number is 154731.. The sail's in good condition :)

Do you reckon? So if I take the line through the eye (port side of boom), tie a bowline, and bring the line back down between the sail and boom and down portside then have the line that goes to the jam cleat through the bowline as usual? would that get me the extra room?
Im new to laser sailing and the whole rigging

My sail number is 154731.. The sail's in good condition :)

Do you reckon? So if I take the line through the eye (port side of boom), tie a bowline, and bring the line back down between the sail and boom and down portside then have the line that goes to the jam cleat through the bowline as usual? would that get me the extra room?
Im new to laser sailing and the whole rigging

yup
skip to 3:34 here it is confirmed!

Back