Class Politics Outhaul deck cleat Rule question

Turin Gray

Is there a buy Harken/Holt products only rule preventing us adding a second cleat for the outhaul on the deck and shifting the cunningham cleat over 1.5CM. This seems like a $5.00 solution vs $220 product. :confused:

Turin Gray said:
Is there a buy Harken/Holt products only rule preventing us adding a second cleat for the outhaul on the deck and shifting the cunningham cleat over 1.5CM. This seems like a $5.00 solution vs $220 product. :confused:
This irks me as well.

I asked the same question a while back and the short answer is no. The Laser is a great boat but this rule is stupid. The price of the fittings is outrageous.

At this moment my boat is illegal. It will stay that way untill I win the lottery or aquire the precious fittings some other way.

My understanding is that only the base plate is restricted.
I work in a laser agent in the UK, and we sell the plate on its own, without cleats. most modern cleats have the hole spacings all roughly the same, so you could put Ronstan or RWO cleats on the same base plate. I'm pretty sure this would be legal, but I'm no expert on the rulkes!

madyottie said:
My understanding is that only the base plate is restricted.
I work in a laser agent in the UK, and we sell the plate on its own, without cleats. most modern cleats have the hole spacings all roughly the same, so you could put Ronstan or RWO cleats on the same base plate. I'm pretty sure this would be legal, but I'm no expert on the rulkes!

I believe what they are talking about above is adding a second clam cleat right next to the original (or spacing them evenly off centerline) - That would be the low cost solution, but not allowed under the current rules...

Howdy All,
If I remember right, the rules state that you have to use the same screw holes as the original single cleat. So it screws you regarding the added clam cleat. I'd seriously doubt you'd ever get protested for it. But you might get nailed at a grand prix or ISAF regatta event if there is a measurer present.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Back