• port

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Starboard

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laserbahamas

Yo,

I was trying top figure out which side to put my outhaul. Also how to rig my Cunningham differently without all of the purchases.

The cunningham is on starboard as it is more likely to be adjusted (cf to outhaul) after the start when most people would be on starboard tack. Also in general the cunningham is easier to adjust on the reaches when on the starboard side during races.
Hamish

He pretty much summed it up.

Cunningham on starboard.

Also, I will try and get pictures of my rigging for you today and get them up here. (For the cunningham)

One thing I do is attach the cunningham block to the top of my Harken vang. Is this legal ?

To be a bit more descriptive I have copied the system from Dick Tillman's "The Complete Book of Laser Sailing" (2nd edition), (start of Chapt. 4). I can post the phto from the book is that is OK (does not break copyright). I also use the fastpins to attach the vang to the mast tang and also to attach the cunningham block to the top of the kicker block.

I only as as I notice that the Laser Performance current rigging guide seems to suggest tying the lower cunningham block to a rope loop round the mast below the vang mast tang - which looks a bt of a mess and subject to a lot of chafe.

Ian
(if it is OK to scan/post the pic. can somebody let me know and I'll put it up as the system does make rigging quicker).

One thing I do is attach the cunningham block to the top of my Harken vang. Is this legal ?

To be a bit more descriptive I have copied the system from Dick Tillman's "The Complete Book of Laser Sailing" (2nd edition), (start of Chapt. 4). I can post the phto from the book is that is OK (does not break copyright). I also use the fastpins to attach the vang to the mast tang and also to attach the cunningham block to the top of the kicker block.

I only as as I notice that the Laser Performance current rigging guide seems to suggest tying the lower cunningham block to a rope loop round the mast below the vang mast tang - which looks a bt of a mess and subject to a lot of chafe.

Ian
(if it is OK to scan/post the pic. can somebody let me know and I'll put it up as the system does make rigging quicker).

Yes, that's legal. That's how they were originally intended to go.

The tying method is superior (in my opinion). I've had no chafe issues.

And yes, post the pic. If you're that worried, just give credit underneath.

And yes, post the pic. If you're that worried, just give credit underneath.

I'm not really at the level where people would start protesting and even if anybody did, I would be happy as I know it would not have affected the result I achieved.

It was more if others knew of the method (and maybe if people had said "maybe illegal, depends on ...." 'cos I remember there being some time ago there some debate about the use of fastpins (and shackles) for cunningham and vang).

Many thanks for the answer.

Ian

I'm not really at the level where people would start protesting and even if anybody did, I would be happy as I know it would not have affected the result I achieved.

It was more if others knew of the method (and maybe if people had said "maybe illegal, depends on ...." 'cos I remember there being some time ago there some debate about the use of fastpins (and shackles) for cunningham and vang).

Many thanks for the answer.

Ian

Here is my set up.

I'll get another picture in a few minutes:

Attachments

• IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 153
Here are three more:

the loop hanging off the bottom block goes under the vang tang. The pink line goes through the eye of the sail, and down to the pin on the top of the vang fitting.

If I had another block with a Becket for the bottom, I would attach it there, instead of the vang, giving the cunningham complete independence from the vang. But, I don't, so I run it to the pin on the vang.

Some people complain about the decreased purchase, but I think it's more than enough, especially with good line.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 113
The cunningham is on starboard as it is more likely to be adjusted (cf to outhaul) after the start when most people would be on starboard tack. Also in general the cunningham is easier to adjust on the reaches when on the starboard side during races.
Hamish

I actually have mine cunningham on the port side so I can get to it after gybing at the leeward mark. That's when I'm more likely to muck with it.

Back