Outboard set up for transporting and trailering

Rod

I recently had the problem of how do I secure my outboard for trailering for long distances as I usually have to travel over 100 miles to the closest lake. I was hesitant to keep the outboard on the mount as the stress of running 65 mph could be too much for the transom. I tried securing it inside the cockpit but that involved too much packing/ securing so as not to damage the boat plus ran into some leaking of oil due to having it lie on its side.
I copied this idea below from pics on the internet. Do you guys think this will hold and withstand the stress of trailering at 65 mph? See photos
The engine is about 30 lbs at most
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
below?

Hey Rod,
I like your motor storage mount idea. Certainly looks handy and out of the way.
Very nice..............WB

I recently had the problem of how do I secure my outboard for trailering for long distances as I usually have to travel over 100 miles to the closest lake. I was hesitant to keep the outboard on the mount as the stress of running 65 mph could be too much for the transom. I tried securing it inside the cockpit but that involved too much packing/ securing so as not to damage the boat plus ran into some leaking of oil due to having it lie on its side.
I copied this idea below from pics on the internet. Do you guys think this will hold and withstand the stress of trailering at 65 mph? See photos
The engine is about 30 lbs at mostView attachment 12875 View attachment 12876 View attachment 12877 View attachment 12878 View attachment 12879 below?
I would recommend reinforcing the wood 2x with a steel plate(same size as the 2x) bolted to the trailer winch mount. The vibration and shock frompulling the trailer on the road could cause the 2x to split at the bolt holes and come off of the trailer, and your motor with it.

Could'nt find a bigger metal plate so used metal plates from Lowe's. Did the job of holding up to my travel to lake running 65 miles per hour
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back