Other Boats While Sailing

Starfish

This past weekend the weather was nice enough to get out on the lake to do some sailing and what a hoot! It was nice to get back down to our RV at the marina and spend an enjoyable weekend on the water and just having fun in the sun........

But I got to admit that I'm a little disturbed at how inconsiderate and rude some folks are in their power boats and on their jet skis.....geez.......:mad: I don't know how many times boaters (with & without skiers) just take off like a bat out of he-double-L and pass either in front of you.........or along side you......or behind you.......or where ever! Same thing for kids (and grown ups) on their jet skis.........:( It's like they have no regard for what their wake is doing to you or the problems that they cause for you while you're trying to sail. There are some folks that have manners and take it easy around you or try to avoid you but very darn few!

Excuse my "vent" but I do my best to stay away from other boats (and jet skis) and it's rather irritating that some will not return the same courtesy. Maybe this is just the way it is.........but it doesn't mean I have to like it!

Is it just me or does anyone else experience this while you're out sailing?

Sounds like you should be talking with the local authorities.

A Digest of the Texas Water Safety Act - It is unlawful for any person to:

Operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane or similar device, in a willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. (Violation of this provision shall be punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2,000 or by confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both.)

Boat builders (the NMMA) are running full-page ads for their website www.discoverboating.com.

Why "discover" boating? Family boaters are abandoning boating—know why?

Just what you stated.

Be glad it's only Jet-Skis. We've got 45-foot monsters going 130-MPH on our lake. :eek:

I don't mind so much the huge wakes that plowing cruisers toss up: I like to "get air" in my Sunfish! :p

Trust me........there were a few times there that I really would have liked to. There should be several out there (where ever they are) that should still have some burning ears............:D

You know, I understand that people go to the lakes and such to just have fun and relax. And I didn't get the feeling that these folks were intentionally trying to cause any harm. For the most part, I believe that they just have no clue or just do not think about what their wake is doing or what it might be doing to others around them.

I also think that (allot of times) many of the parents do not properly train their kids on the safety of riding a jet ski. But I assure you that once they get cited for a violation....that'll change their tune a bit. The parents (many times) are just as obnoxious" as their kids in the way they ride their jet ski.....so I suppose I shouldn't expect any less or any more from the kids.

Keep in mind that I'm still fairly new to sailing and the boat that I own, which I just purchased in February this year. I'm self taught and feel that I've come a long way in a very short time......but I realize that I have a long way to go too! In light winds it's really not a big deal what the other boats are doing but in heavier winds it's another story. Especially when the wind direction is constantly changing and you're dealing with heavier gusts and greater boat speed. In those conditions you (or at least I) have to choose course changes a little more carefully. And for me, the other boat's wake can become a major issue.

I'm sure I'll learn to just deal with it and maybe it's just part of sailing......but it still does not set to well when common boating courtesy is ignored.

Back