Osmosis Blisters

CaptainAhab

I'm looking at buying another boat to have around for friends and family. I found an old hull in very good shape for its age. Everything is there . Blades need TLC. Unfortunately the brand new iSails got wet and stained red by the clew.

The trailer is in very good shape. Its like the Kitty Hawk trailers in the US except you can't use it as a dolly because its steel and too heavy.

The boat is AU with not one inspection port. He claims it never leaks. Here's the kicker. It has the strangest osmosis on the bottom starting forward of the daggerboard trunk and consistently back to the cockpit drain. It is like nonskid. The Laser osmosis blisters I've seen on other hulls are larger and scattered like random pimples.

I had noticed that it has water in the mast step. So its obviously not leaking. The guy is pretty genuine. He claims it hasn't been used in years and its always been on the trailer. Never sitting on anything wet.

I have two thoughts. One the water in the mast step(now half full) has found its way over the years down into the bottom of the hull. Second thought was that it was left outside where rain and condensation hung to the bottom of the boat for a prolonged time.

At the end of the day it is an old boat in good shape. The trailer is worth $800.

The boat would be used for fun and non serious club racing by visitors.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathalbyn/sail-boats/laser-sailing-dinghy-full-rig/1035523173

If it has blisters like that then I would say that there has been water left inside the hull that has fond its way through. This could be from leaking whilst in storage or may have been from when it was last sailed and not drained. Either way I would be very cautious about buying it were it me.

If it has blisters like that then I would say that there has been water left inside the hull that has fond its way through. This could be from leaking whilst in storage or may have been from when it was last sailed and not drained. Either way I would be very cautious about buying it were it me.
I realize this is an old thread, but my question is, what happens if you have these blisters? What does that mean for the boat?

Back