Original Sailfish Sail

mless15

Any idea how much a 65 square foot Sailfish sail is worth? I got one by accident when I meant to buy one for my Sailfish MKII. It's all white with the sailfish logo.

It all depends on the condition and quality of the sail. If it’s a new old stock Ratsey Lapthorn or Alcort sail I’d think you could get $100-$130 ($130 if it has a window). If it’s used but no tears or patches and clean I’d say $75. Check out eBay completed listings to see what they’ve sold for (as opposed to what people ask and don’t necessarily get in active listings)
I think the Minifish uses the 65 SF sail as well, so advertise it as good for either boat for a bigger audience.

Also depends on age. The old old ones were a silk type material. If you want to sell it we'd be interested.

Here is the tag on the sale. It feels like my other dacron sails. It has some stains and the wear you'd expect from a 50 year old sail. You can tell it was used. Not sure if i definitely want to sell just yet. Part of me has always wanted to get an original wooden sailfish. I have a wooden sunfish so I want to complete the set hahaha.
Sailfish Sail.jpg

I hate to be a contrarian, but I wouldn't pay a penny for a 50-year (worn) old sail. Remember that the sail generates the power that propels your boat.
And it may tear in bigger breeze.

Reactions: tag

Back