What's new

Original brass deck drain.

po-man sailor

I'm still looking for a complete used original brass deck drain and cap. I know they sell them new for around $50. I like original equipment best but I sure don't like the cost of one of these new ones.
Is there anything negative about having the original style? verses drilling the deck hole out larger and putting a $6 plastic plug in? Something that would sway me that I should'nt use the original style?
Just checking im almost finished with the boat and I thought I would look for used till the last minute.

po-man sailor

Nothing just original hole with the two tiny holes for the brass keeper pins.it had duct tape over it when I got it. I thought they would be easier to come by. Been checking ebay regularly and posted on the sunfish want ads way back

L&VW

Nothing just original hole with the two tiny holes for the brass keeper pins.it had duct tape over it when I got it. I thought they would be easier to come by. Been checking ebay regularly and posted on the sunfish want ads way back
Then you need a substitute until one is found. Hardware stores carry an assortment of neoprene plugs. ("Corks"). Or return to duct tape, which I find useful nearly everywhere.

Fullscreen capture 4252021 80844 PM.bmp.jpg

signal charlie

Staff member
Otion1: Buy this batch of used parts, keep the plug and resell the rest. The DePersia bailer cap will get some interest for around 20-25 dollars, and the carriage bolt around $10. I'd buy the rest of the bronze for $30.

You might also message that seller Herb and see if he has just the plug.

Sunfish Sailboat Used Parts | eBay

2: In the meantime go sailing, Gorilla tape over the hole. I might have an extra plug but won't know for sure for about 2 months when I get our packed up parts out of storage in Virginia.

Insert random pinking shears photo here:

308FA7E7-7EE7-4022-B119-F0484D27313F.jpeg

po-man sailor

Thanks Charlie.
Every time I see those sheers I remember hearing my mom yell at my little brother and i..."you boys better not have my good picking sheers back there cutting that". It was a running family joke through adulthood.

mixmkr

Cut that Sunbrella with a hot knife...unless it's some non-synthetc fabric that'll burst into flames. :) :)

signal charlie

Staff member
Skipper always hollers "Those better not be my Ginghers..."

1E20C792-15B8-4F59-AC2B-CDBC5FCAF0C7.jpeg

And our Sailrite Hotknife is packed, not sure if it would be the best application for the 40 feet of cutting we needed to do and get a straight line. SKipper has 5 decades of sewing experience, she can sew the needed seam faster than I could pull out the knife, extension cord, find a flat surface, keep fabric lined up, find the tempered glass cutting plate....

Alan S. Glos

Po-man,

Is this what you need/want? I have this one assembly that came off a badly dagmage 1974 hull. It even has the origiunal rertaining chain and the two
pound-in mounting pins. $15 + $3 shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

po-man sailor

Yep thats what I'm looking for Alan. I need that as well as the sunfish de Persian bailer you have. I sent you an email and my phone number. THANKS! Now I can sell that dang plastic junk.