Options for Raising Main

steph

I was out sailing the other day and saw a gal sailing a laser with some modification of the sleeved sail that allowed her to raise the sail vs. having it slip over the mast from the top of the mast. This would be very handy as I must launch from a dock and with a novice like myself the boat can be tough to control in a blow coming into the dock and rigging for launch. Anyone know of a modification that might get this accomplished or was I just hallucinating. Thanks, Steph

It would take some serious modification - The biggest would be that a different luff sleeve would have to be used, as the existing sleeve is tapered and would not allow the sail to be lowered past the upper mast collar

Next, you need to work out a halyard system, with either a temp or permanent mounting of a block or sheeve at the top of the mast. I think you could tie the halyard off using the goose neck fitting.

Not saying it can't be done, but there is some work involved.

Do you only have one side of the dock that you can launch/approach from ?

Some other options would be the quick disconnect clew hook, which would allow you to let the clew go and allow the sail to luff completely when approaching the dock (it harder to attach, then disconnect though, so launching would be more difficult). You can also untie the mainsheet from the aft block and let the sail and boom run free as you approach the dock - this would work ok as long as the dock didn't have anything tall that would end up the path of the sail.

If you want to talk more about the luff sleeve idea, let me know I might be able to help you further.

The Radial rig originally came with a halyard; perhaps you saw one of those?

I've never seen the system firsthand, but I understand there is a cloth/webbing item (much like the top 3" of the regular sail) that fits over the top of the mast and the halyard turns there (I don't know if there's a block or what up there). I'm not exactly what changes are made to the sail, but the top is modified to have a smaller webbing loop that the halyard is tied to, instead of the strap the runs over the top of the mast that the regular sails' have.

I did find this description:

> ILCA published a Laser handbook 04/86 with specifications
> on the Radial sail and instructions for rigging it along with
> many photos. This particular handbook shows the old
> metal basket style mast topper with rivited fairlead for the
> halyard and this mast topper fits over the top of the mast
> (duh). My newer Radial sail (1992 vintage -- NOT an M-
> RIG !!!) , lower mast section, and mast topper - all
> purchased from Laser - are similar to the one featured in the
> ILCA publication except that the mast topper is cloth with a
> fairlead sewn on. The sail sleeve is wider than the sleeve on
> the standard sail to accommodate the halyard which runs
> down the inside of the sleeve along the mast. At the
> gooseneck is a hook to which the halyard is tied after the
> sail is hoisted. However, when the sail is pulled down, the
> halyard tends to rotate around the mast, making hoisting
> the sail a bit tricky since there is no eyestrap to keep the
> halyard in line with the fairlead.

http://cerebus.winsite.com/archives/1999/Apr-Jun/msg01293.html

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Re: your problem of landing/departing from a pier...

I also (occasionally) sail from a venue with only deepwater piers. The sail or mainsheet release technique can be a real lifesaver, but I'd recommend experimentation before trying it in strong wind. I've ended up on the windward side of a pier with my sail flapping around and boat banging against the pier at least once.

BTW, I think the sail-release is a better technique than mainsheet-release because it eliminates the hard boom swinging around and hitting stuff. Also, the sail sans boom seems to be much more depowered. I have a Harken clew-hook, and it's not *too* bad to attach/release from on the boat, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as convenient! (a hint,: if you release the clew remember to pull the boom out of the gooseneck and lower it to the deck...)

Another trick I generally use on landing is to pull the rig out of the boat as soon as I can after getting to the pier. This makes it a lot easier to maneuver the boat around. For some reason I don't usually step the mast on the water (probably that launching always seems to be a bit more controlled operation).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Best not to tie outhaul and clew tiedown until you are ready to go (centreboard and rudder in already). On windy/shifty days it can be a bit tricky to tie down as you may have to fight the wind, but you can let go your boom or the line if you have to.

We have a deep water, prevailing wind dead onshore pier launch challenge as well.

To ease the situation we have done the following:
  1. rigged on land except for attaching the outhaul.
  2. left all sail controls fully eased.
  3. Adopted the clew hook and left off until on the H2O.
  4. The key- Dropped a small mooring buoy just clear of the dock.
    [/list=1]

We then launch the boat and scull
    to the buoy using a snap hook to the deck fairlead. Once we hook up and the boat luffs into the wind we attach the clew hook, snug the other controls per the conditions and immediately let the buoy go.

It's like starting a MotoX race, kind of a controlled spacelaunch, but it beats the heck out of ending up backwinded crashing into the dock in reverse or capsizing four feet off shore.

I'm sure there are better ideas out there, but this has worked for us (Most of the time:D ).

I am pretty sure that the M-rig features(featured?) a main halyard.

Back