What's new

Optimal Trailer Design For Two Sunfish?

Greg Q

Hi all, I am new to the Sunfish world. This past summer I picked up a free boat from my aunt that was in good condition. She has a second boat for "free" that will need some very minor hull repair. Overall the boats are in good shape!

My question is this. After spending some significant time combing though this forum looking at trailer setups I'm trying to determine the better design. The "A-Frame" setup, or the stacked setup. I would be storing life jackets, spars, sails, and a dolly on the trailer as well if possible.

My second question is. If I go with the stacked setup it seems that storing the boats upside down is the better option as the boats are stronger on top vs the bottom and it would reduce my chances of hull damage while on the road. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the input. My wife and I had so much fun on the water last summer. We cannot wait to get out there again- this time with two boats :)

I posted some pictures that I found on this forum to help explain what I'm trying to do.

Attachments

L&VW

Since I cartop, my concerns are mostly with the trailer itself. But, FWIW, the edges combine the top and bottom of the Sunfish, and are very strong, so I'd prefer the "A-frame" design.

I'd load the trailer so the springs have started to take the load. If the trailer is too stiff, consult with a local trailer dealer to cut or remove leaves.

On this forum, I've shown videos of others who've added actual shock absorbers at great effort. :eek: A search using "shock" should turn it up.

Greg Q

Since I cartop, my concerns are mostly with the trailer itself. But, FWIW, the edges combine the top and bottom of the Sunfish, and are very strong, so I'd prefer the "A-frame" design.

I'd load the trailer so the springs have started to take the load. If the trailer is too stiff, consult with a local trailer dealer to cut or remove leaves.

On this forum, I've shown videos of others who've added actual shock absorbers at great effort. :eek: A search using "shock" should turn it up.
Thank you for the information! Good to know that a strong point is the edge of the boat. This makes the A-Frame design very favorable in terms of trailering and storing the boat with minimal chance of damage to the hull.

Yes, I've read that the weight is very important to consider and the type of trailer. Rather than going with a small boat or PWC trailer, I'm more leaning towards a kayak trailer. These are designed for even lighter loads and have leaf springs. See attached picture. Obviously the racks would come off. We have used this exact model trailer for 15+ years for our fleet of kayaks and never had a problem. It's a litle bouncy with a few kayaks, but with two sunfish plus gear, I think it will pull and take bumps like a dream!

Attachments

tag

my2fish
That picture of the A-frame trailer is mine. I love it - easy to carry two boats and take either one off. My previous method was to stack them with pool noodles, which meant I *always* had to remove both boats (Minifish and Sunfish) if I wanted to sail the Sunfish. Plus, it gives me a TON of extra storage space. With the A-frame, I have a 1x6 bunk that hugs the side of the hull, plus the hull rests against the two A-frames.... I'm not that worried about shock absorbers or bouncing along down the road. The trailer is heavy now with the weight of the A-frame and box I built, and it's not really point loaded anywhere that would make me worry about the bounces.

Honestly, my only complaint with my current design: I can't easily stuff a cooler or big tupperware storage container through the back "triangle" opening when both boats are on the bunks and strapped down. So I likely need to just get a little creative with a sawzall and make the triangle area just a bit wider and problem will be solved.

Greg Q

Alright, so I've been searching around for something used and haven't found too much that doesn't involve a major overhaul. I contacted a local trailer manufacturer to inquire about some custom fabrication designs. I'm definitely leaning towards the A-Frame design.

We purchased one of their kayak trailers 15 years go, it's gone across the country several times, and I've put 10's of thousands of miles on it here in Michigan. It's like the day we bought it. Perfect trailer I think for this application.

The trailer manufacture gave me a quote of $1200 for a new trailer with the added fabrication of the racks that I need. It's been slow at work so I've had some time to draft up a rough design of what this thing will look like :)

Take a look and let me know what you think. Metal tubing is all hollow, and is galvanized.

I'm not the most handy, so for the price I think it's worth it for me.

Attachments

Reactions: tag