Opinions on '72 Newport Holiday?

LMAC

Hi everyone, been awhile since Ive logged in. Have my eye on a '72 Newport Holiday 19 to move up from my Minifish. I know this is a Sunfish forum but you all have been so helpful in the past. So Im open to your thoughts on the boat. All looks in order with the boat. The hull is amazingly nice for a '72. It's not a project boat at all. Guess Im looking for the pros/cons that people may be willing to share. Thanks for sending along your thoughts/ideas on this make/model. Cheers, Laura

Not being familiar with this sailboat, I looked up the Newport Holiday 19. (Sold for $750).

It is similar to the 19-foot Navigator that was given to me last summer. The Newport Holiday 19 appears to be a slimmer and lighter design than the Navigator 19. I was also offered a 23-foot MacGregor, which had a lot more bunk area (for four). That, too, would have been free. (End of the season search). :cool: The Navigator was described on a trip that the lower bunks were cramped, and you had to plan the effort to turn over. :confused:

A very solid boat, it was still not recommended for ocean voyaging. I recall a Lightning mainsail is a perfect fit.

One consideration is that even the used parts for my Navigator 19 cost two- to four-times what a Sunfish part would cost—there are also a lot more parts! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input! Yes, Newport made several models....not familiar with the Navigator at all but I can confirm the Holiday is a "spartan" day sailer. There is a stowage cabin but no amenities in it and an interesting deck box on the stern that would be handy. I believe the mast on the one Im looking at is a Dwyer, and it's in good shape. May need some new hardware here and there, but Dwyer still in business and the prices weren't too salty. The sails are relatively new (2014). I believe they are "Hilken". All that said, good point on availability and cost of parts vs. Sunfish/Laser!

Just for comparison sake, there is a 19' O'Day Mariner for sale near me. Very clean boat. Similar style to Holiday but nicer amenities in cabin etc. Do you have any thoughts on the Mariner? Thanks again!

Depends. Due to weight, I wouldn't want to trailer-handle a Mariner by myself; however, my Mariner might be seriously overweight due to water in the foam flotation. Sound familiar? :rolleyes:

Club support is super-great at mariner.org. The tariff is $15/year, but feedback is exemplary!

If you need overnight capacity, and protected ocean sailing, I'd suggest looking at a 23-footer or more...

Back