Opinion on used Laser

tom03

Hi,

Im thinking about buying a used Laser. Numer 122xxx (Year 1985) . price is 500 $.

I looked at a boat yesterday and discovered the following.

a.) hairthin round cracks in some areas on the deck (image 1)

b.) 3 deep gelcoat scratches on the bottom of the hull (image 4)

c.) no bailer (image 3) ?

d.) mast hole seems okay (image 2)

e.) daggerboard slot (image 5)

what do you guys think ?
never seen those round cracks...

regards, Tom

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
That boat is not in good shape and personally I think it would be more work to get the boat in acceptable shape again then what the Laser is worth.

Is a trailer or dolly included?
Are there any soft spots in the deck or hull?
Is the cockpit to hull connection solid?
What is the condition of the sail, foils, mast, etc.?

It may be fine for recreational use, depending on the items above. If you do buy it, I recommend reinforcing the mast tube to hull connection (search this forum for more info). In the past there was a page here with a guide for buying a used Laser, but I haven't seen it for a while. Maybe someone knows where it is.

That boat is not in good shape and personally I think it would be more work to get the boat in acceptable shape again then what the Laser is worth.
Considering the asking price of $500, I don't agree with this conclusion at all. I see scratches alright, but they won't hinder you sailing the boat. The missing gelcoat (image 4) can be repaired with little effort. And you will have to repair the bailer. That's no major issue.

PS: Rob Hair gave you good advice what to look for in case you want to consider this boat more seriously.

Last edited:
And you will have to get and install a bailer.

I have a 1978 without the bailer that I got for next to nothing. I just use a standard cork plug to keep the water out. For recreational use, having some water in the cockpit doesn't bother me in the least.

Out of class bailer is $20. The cracks are from someone dropping the end of the mask on the deck while stepping it. If the rigging is complete it is a fair deal. Put a rubber plug in it and sail it. I don't agree with walking away die to the condition. If all of the issues weren't there you wouldn't be looking at it for 500.

Back