open slots to race at worlds?

David1st

I just noticed that on the home page, Terry Beadle has said there were alot of open slots to race at the worlds. Is it to far to travel for most people? Whats the scoop?

"Invited entrants who wish to accept the invitation must fill out the Entry Form in Addendum 2 and send it to the Class Office along with a non-refundable US$ 250 charter fee plus the US$250 registration fee by the date specified in the invitation for a total of $500"

That's my guess -

Not to mention $179 a night for a week. 7 X 179 = $1253
Anything cheaper in that area for July/August has been gone since early spring...LOL

as for open slots it has to do with the way the qualifying is set up.

http://www.sunfishclass.org/admin/worldsqualifying.html
Overseas classes rarely fill their quota and with only 30 hard and fast quilfiers from the US that leaves a lot of slots for former champs, etc that usually don't get filled and go to a lottery.
But I have talked to a guy who was just at a Worlds with IIRC his son and got invited to sail...LOL

I would agree that the cost of housing in the area may have prevented many people from going. The situation is not being helped by the fact that the ISCA response deadline was the middle of June which leaves ~50 potential participants with about 2 months to find a place during the peak tourism season. There are not going to be any bargains.

From what I understand, the Pan Am games are also extremely expensive and that is keeping many of the top int'l sailors from attending the World Championship.

I had considered it, but like others have said, the overall regatta cost is a bit high for me. Basically, I would be ditching the family AND blowing 1.5 grand in doing so. Not a good way to score points.

BTW.....If lodging cost is a a significant factor in attendance, I think everyone will be pleased to find a plethora of inexpensive hotels in Erie for the NA's next year!!!

I know of several people that are renting houses for the week. Obviously this is prohibitively expensive to do by yourself. However, it becomes quite economical if you are sharing the home with others. If there are people interested in attending but the total cost of the regatta is scaring them away, the Sunfish Forum might be a great way to network and find other people in a similar situation to share a house with.

I see and understand about the cost!!! The Barrington boys roomed together last year to cut costs!!! The Motels in Charleston were a whole lot cheaper and they came in one big van,they saved a bundel!! They won't have as far to travel this year, that is if they go!!! I have only sailed in our local club here in Maine!! My experience sailing has only been on a lake!!! I have been sailing 5 or 6 years and have never sailed in anything over 25 kts. Do any of you think with the level of experience I have, should I even think of competing at the worlds!!! I don't think I would embarrasse anyone but myself maybe!! I would like to race in my friends and mentors honor, who died in the worlds last year!! I don't know if I can afford to go at 1200 or so dollars prolly not!! I was just look for some frank advise, if I was crazy about even thinking about it!!!

The cost should not be keeping people away. The Holiday Inn the club recommneds is available on Travelocity right now for $152 per night. Get a roomate and it is $75 per night. The charter fee is reasonable and the club looks to have a lot planned for the cost of the entry fee. And most of you who are complaining could drive to New Jersey.

In the '70s, '80s and '90s the Worlds were virtually never held in the US, and somehow people managed to afford airfare and a week's hotel stay in Venezuela, Italy, Colombia, Bermuda, etc. And that is back when the class was populated by 22 year olds who hardly had major incomes. Now it is a bunch of old folks likely with good salaries who are too cheap to drive to New Jersey!! Its the Worlds for crying out loud.

Something else is the problem - apparently no one cares to win the Sunfish Worlds so attendance is down. BB

BUT don't forget unlike regional, masters, and even the North Americans, the World's is an invitational event; and you can't sail your own boat.
There is a limit on the number of boats. And that has changed from year to year depending on how many boats the current builder was willing to supply.
Like I said there are 30 qualifier slots for the US, and any open slots depending on the number of boats and past worlds champions, other "exempt" racers which includes ISCA officers, and foreign NSA's that attend the opening as mostly last minute by the lottery. WHich is still invitation and only the once did I hear of anyone being offered a boat at the regatta.

BUT don't forget unlike regional, masters, and even the North Americans, the World's is an invitational event; and you can't sail your own boat. QUOTE]

Technically the worlds are an invite only event, but if any man, woman or child were to call the class office they would be invited to the Brant Beach Worlds.

I have heard that this is a great venue, fine winds, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of previous sites, so I am not sure why the turnout is not as good as it historically is.

BB

I qualified for the worlds this year. I am not going mainly due to the cost, partially due to work (I'm self employed and very busy) and partially due to other things I am taking time off from work for this summer. I plan to go to the Erie N.A.'s next year because they are close and they will be much more affordable.

The venue is a great place to sail. I qualified to go this year and am looking forward to compete against some great sailors. I've sailed at BBYC many times and they are experienced at hosting big regattas like this one. I would recommend looking on the site of the Sandpaper since they list rentals on there too. The Sandpaper is a local LBI newspaper. You nmight get a deal on ahouse rental this late in the season if a groupd of people go in together. My girlfriend and I rented a little garage around the corner from BBYC for the summer.
Go to the: thesandpaper.net

I have a question for some of you who have used a Jens Rig. I weigh 125 and have recently started using a Jens rig. Yesterday I was racing at Avalon, NJ and the winds started out 10-15 and were around 18 by the end of the day.

I tie a short Jens line to the mast cap along with a loop around the mast and use that method. I notice at the starts the guys who have 50 pounds on me or more, for those of you who race against me, just drive over top or below me on the starts when I use a Jens rig. Should I be sheeting differently? Once I get clear air I was fine.

I am usually the first women in heavy air at our local MAYRA regattas. My goal is to beat up on these guys in the breeze. Yesterday I felt much improved.

Suggestions on anything else to do for more speed with the Jens?

Back