Open 60 Laser

If any of you saw that laser in sailing anarchy with the plumb bow..... No? Well ok.

My plan is to get a old laser hull, Chop the bow off, make it hard chine, and a plumb bow. Then, Built a little cuddy over the cockpit, And stick a 420 rig in the mast hole. The only problem is a keel. I would love not having to hike. How hard is it to make a keel? How much weight would be needed? How much draft? (I was thinking like 3')

Dist. 10 champ out.

yo you wanna no wat would be reely cool, a hydrofoiling laser were gonna make a carbon fiber top section and make the boat a little lighter and make a foiling rudder and centerboard that wood be easier and funner than making a keelboat laser tho it is a good idea idont know how sturdy it wood be and it wood be pretty bow heavy

yo you wanna no wat would be reely cool, a hydrofoiling laser were gonna make a carbon fiber top section and make the boat a little lighter and make a foiling rudder and centerboard that wood be easier and funner than making a keelboat laser tho it is a good idea idont know how sturdy it wood be and it wood be pretty bow heavy

That won't work since the laser isn't light enough. Having a carbon fiber top section will no where near make the boat light enough for foiling. Think about making the entire boat carbon fiber and then MAYBE can you even consider foiling.

As to the "Open 60" Laser, do the math for the amount of lead, draft of the keel, and the sail area to find if how much RM you will need to generate, PM if you want me to do it for you.

You know a 420 rig does not have a circular mast right?
And would you then sleep on board or not? :p
That being said, if you somehow find the time and money to complete this, can you post pictures?

Random Naval Architecture student out.

sounds like a sweet idea i want to sail it when it is finsished sounds like one hell of a ride in 10-12 knts of wind and any more might be sucice LOL.

Just curious, have you figured out how low in the water the hull would sit with all the extra weight? (esp. if you add a keel)

You want a keel so you don't have to hike? Remember, the best performance is achieved while sailing flat. And when the boat is close to flat, the keel has little righting moment. (The extreme example is when the boat is COMPLETELY flat and the keel exerts NO righting moment ;-)

The primary purpose for keels is not to make it so crews don't have to hike, but rather to make boats self-righting after capsize/broach.

This is all for fun right? You know the result of your work will be a slower, not faster, boat right? But it'll look cool and be an interesting conversation piece. That being said, you could still add a keel.

Total weight is a BIG concern here. And being self righting, with the crew still on the boat more than doubling the weight, is a big challenge on a boat as small as a laser.

I'd solve it by going deep. REAL deep. I'd start with something like a 75lb bulb on the end of a very narrow 6' fin. Then experiment and make changes after sailing.

Your cuddy is mostly cosmetic, right? so it'll be small, well forward, and sealed off, increasing total bouyancy. Remember, make it light, keep total weight down.

My two cents.

Talk to a casting shop and have one made.

Casting 75lbs of lead isn't a joking matter and can be quite hazardous. It can kill you if you do it wrong. That being said, it can be a do-it-yourself project, if you're willing to do the legwork and research ahead of time, learn all the hazards, and set up a proper pour. (I can't even list all the hazards here -- start by assuming there are more hazards than you know about.)

Conversely, since it's all a low-budget-just-for-fun type project, you might be able to get smaller ingots, and do some type of bolt-on affair.

usa38-53261200156.jpg

Like this, but with a cuddy, dual rudder, keel, and no trap.

If any of you saw that laser in sailing anarchy with the plumb bow..... No? Well ok.

My plan is to get a old laser hull, Chop the bow off, make it hard chine, and a plumb bow. Then, Built a little cuddy over the cockpit, And stick a 420 rig in the mast hole. The only problem is a keel. I would love not having to hike. How hard is it to make a keel? How much weight would be needed? How much draft? (I was thinking like 3')

Dist. 10 champ out.

If you start with an old cherub you'll be half way there. In fact if you found an old stilleto, you'd be there completely - with the bonus of a few extra feet.

Or maybe an Elliot 5.9 would be better.

I have a hard time imagining anything beeing left of the actual laser if you make something like that (something that works that is, in other words, something that dosn't break).

Back