One piece Super Sunfish Mast?

Alan S. Glos

This week a fellow Sunfish racer friend gave me what he thought was a vintage Super Sunfish mast and boom that he had inherited from his father. It all looked legit but the mast was a tapered one-piece affair. I have owned one Super Sunfish and the mast that came with it was a three-piece rig just like the AMF Alcort Force 5 rig.

Question: Was there ever a one-piece Super Sunfish mast or is this mast from another class, maybe a Laser clone? It is about 19' long and seems too heavy to be a genuine Super Sunfish mast? What say you, fellow Sunfish geeks?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Any labels?

Aluminum or composite?

I've got one made of fiberglass, which carries the label of "Hobie". (Well, most of the label... :confused: )

I've got another—the bottom section of an aluminum Force-5 "type".

This week a fellow Sunfish racer friend gave me what he thought was a vintage Super Sunfish mast and boom that he had inherited from his father. It all looked legit but the mast was a tapered one-piece affair. I have owned one Super Sunfish and the mast that came with it was a three-piece rig just like the AMF Alcort Force 5 rig.

Question: Was there ever a one-piece Super Sunfish mast or is this mast from another class, maybe a Laser clone? It is about 19' long and seems too heavy to be a genuine Super Sunfish mast? What say you, fellow Sunfish geeks?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
I have the Super rig with a 2-piece mast. I'm not aware of a 1-piece.

The Super Sunfish rigs I have had are all two piece masts. The F5 was of course three piece. I did have a Flying Fish which was a one piece fiberglass mast. It may also be an early version. The original sloop rig was developed outside of AMF by John Black Lee and was called Formula S. It was shopped to AMF, they declined, then came up with their own rig, Super Sunfish. So perhaps this mast is from per AMF Super Sunfish days.

Sailcraftri,

Thanks. This sounds like plausible explanation. I think this mast has a future as a flagpole as it is so heavy, it might destroy a Sunfish mast step under load.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The mast on my original wooden sunfish was repurposed by my father as a light post in his front yard. I love my father dearly but I wasn't happy when I was searching for the mast and found out what happened to it :mad:. To be fair, I did have 2 but he used the one that was in better shape.

Back