One man rigging time

no4j

Hello all,
I'm new here and do not yet own a Capri. I'm looking at a couple of 14.2s that I am interested in. Question for the forum.

What do you think would be the time it would take one experienced man to rig the boat from arrival at the ramp on the trailer to sails up in the water?

I'm a 62 year old man with a lot of experience (but a long time ago) and my wife has no experience in any kind of sailboat. I'm really looking forward to getting a boat and testing the hiking straps. The boat will be kept in my garage on the trailer.

BTW, in 1965, my brother and I won the Florida State Championship in the Windmill class. That's a 15.5 ft plywood screamer. Just bragging. :)

Thanks,

Dave

I think I can do it in 7 to 10, but I (a) have the jib on a roller furler, and (b) keep my main on the boom during the season. Though I will say that I do get help stepping the mast, I think it would be a difficult job for one person.

There are posts in this forum from many years ago about how to step the mast single handed. I do it solo every time. I can try to find those if you would like me to search for them.

There are posts in this forum from many years ago about how to step the mast single handed. I do it solo every time. I can try to find those if you would like me to search for them.

I would like to see those. Thanks.

Dave

About 20 mins. I have everything but the forestay attached. I let out a few feet of cable from the winch, walk the mast up, then clip it. Jump off the boat and attached the forestay to the bow.

Yup, about 20 minutes for me, too. I usually sail single-handed, so stepping the mast by myself is part of the deal. I don't find it that heavy or awkward (and I'm not all that buff!), but I do need to do something to stabilize it before attaching the forestay (like a lot of folks, I leave the shrouds attached all the time). I like the idea of using the main halyard. Think I'll put a small bowline on the end without the shackle and attach a line that I keep in the boat for a stern line, etc, that has a snap on one end to give it a bit more length. What I've been doing is taking that line to a smal block that I've attached to the forward mast support on the trailer, tying one end to the mast about 5-6' up from the deck then bringing the other end back to the jib cleat (on the mast) to tie-off. That provides plenty of support while securing the forestay to the roller furler drum. At first, I'd just hold the mast forward with the forestay alone, but while fumbling with the clevis pin and ring ding, I'd have all these nightmarish visions of loosing my grip and having the mast come crashing down!

It takes me about 20 minutes to get the boat rigged up solo, and I take my time. During the sailing season, I keep my old main wrapped around the boom. Put in the mast pin, raise the mast, walk the forestay forward and clip it in. The rest is unrolling the main, raising the main, running the mainsheet, tiller/rudder, and jib.

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2
1984 Catalina 22

Today I rigged the boat using the main halyard to stabilize the mast while I attached the forestay to the roller furler drum and had the main already attached to the boom (I flaked it and held it with ties rather than rolling it around the boom). It was ramp-ready in 10 minutes! Now, that's the way to go. Could've trimmed off a few more seconds if I had a snap shackle for the main halyard, but hey, this isn't a race!

I rigged mine singlehanded today, first time out this year, it was about fifteen minutes at the ramp. I live close to the harbor, just a few blocks, so I prep stuff like the main and whatnot at home. I use the jib halyard and an extra line from the front of the trailer to a cleat as well.

Well, I did buy a Capri yesterday. Here is a link to a pic.

http://daveandbarby.com/images/my_baby_small.jpg

Thanks for all the good info. I played with it all morning on the trailer and found the rigging to be easy and simple.

I only have 2 issues now....

1. The jib car sets are missing the fairleads.
2. No drain plug.

These can be solved with a call to Catalina direct.
Any ideas about getting the fairleads without having to buy the entire car assembly?

I can use a cork for the drain plug until the order from CD arrives.

Overall, very happy and can't wait to get it in the water.

Dave

Hmmm...
Not so sure I'd risk using a cork for the drain plug. Very bad thing if that were to come out on the water. Maybe others have done this successfully?

Hmmm...
Not so sure I'd risk using a cork for the drain plug. Very bad thing if that were to come out on the water. Maybe others have done this successfully?

Of course you're right. What a hoot that would be. But I will definitely expedite shipping from Catalina Direct. I have a hellovan itch I need to scratch.

Dave

Those plugs are cheap (universal) at any outdoor supply store like Gander mt. or any sporting goods place with a boating/fishing section, I bet you could even get one from wallmart.

Actually, I bought one at Walmart yesterday but it was too big. I thought they would be universal too, but I guess not. I'll try Gander. We have one near by.

Thanks.

Well, I did buy a Capri yesterday.
I only have 2 issues now....

1. The jib car sets are missing the fairleads.
2. No drain plug.

These can be solved with a call to Catalina direct.
Any ideas about getting the fairleads without having to buy the entire car assembly?

I can use a cork for the drain plug until the order from CD arrives.

Dave

Try APS. They also have the drain plugs.

Try APS. They also have the drain plugs.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I've already installed the parts I got from Catalina Direct. However, this is another good resource for the bookmarks

Another thing I need is hiking straps and the flex connector for the hiking stick.

I found Ronstan's web site. I just need to call them in insure I get the correct one.

Thanks again.

Hello all,
I'm new here and do not yet own a Capri. I'm looking at a couple of 14.2s that I am interested in. Question for the forum.

What do you think would be the time it would take one experienced man to rig the boat from arrival at the ramp on the trailer to sails up in the water?

I'm a 62 year old man with a lot of experience (but a long time ago) and my wife has no experience in any kind of sailboat. I'm really looking forward to getting a boat and testing the hiking straps. The boat will be kept in my garage on the trailer.

BTW, in 1965, my brother and I won the Florida State Championship in the Windmill class. That's a 15.5 ft plywood screamer. Just bragging. :)

Thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave I remember you well for we sailed together against each other many times in Prams then in 1966 when you and your bro were not getting along well I sailed with your brother John and won the 1966 windmill championship! Wow how time flies!! I am living in Roatan Honduras on a island on my 55ft Hood 55 and doing charter work you should come for a sail sometime and maybe get John to come too we can have a good old time remenising about sailing in the manatee area.:cool:

In a pinch the wine cork works (for the plug), I can attest (have had to use one twice now, on the Capri 14.2 and on a Zuma).

As for needing assistance single handed to lift the capri 14.2 mast? Um, easiest thing to do is to drop the bolt in the tabernacle, and use the halyard from the ground (or better bow) to yank up the mast. It helps to have the mast slightly above horizontal for this. A mast crutch works nicely for that (I used a fabricated one I placed on the transom). I always just lifted the mast up as a dead lift (lift with your knees not your back). The halyard though is helpful to clip to the aft-most hole on the stem... that way you can increase tension on the halyard, and take your time putting the pin in at the stem.

Back