One last sail before winter

Al W

WOW! Today was beautiful and we had the opportunity to sail our Catalina Capri one more time. November 2nd and we were sailing in CT - a gift from nature!
IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4859.JPG

Anyone observe anything different about this rig?

I don't know what's different, but I really like that sail, really beautiful, and even better that it matches your lovely wife!

Seems like your boom mounts about 6" higher than mine. I don't remember that level of adjustment, but I'd like to raise mine a bit if possible.

Glad you had such a nice day out!

Edit: does seem like you're going without a boom vang or cunningham... is that what you were refering to?

Your right about my wife, leave it to a woman to outfit herself to match the boat!
Being 6'-3" tall I like the boom high but that is not it. I live in a condo and can't leave the boat in the driveway so it HAS to go in an 18'-6" deep garage. As you may know, the mast is 20'. When I bought it I knew I would not sail often if I had to take the mast off the boat to store in garage. So look at where the stay wires hit on the mast......very near the top. I shortened the mast (cut off top) to 18'-5" and shortened the sail to match. Also you can see in the orange area that I put in a full batten. Still sails great. Not for everyone but it works for me!
IMG_4752.JPG

I don't know what's different, but I really like that sail, really beautiful, and even better that it matches your lovely wife!

Seems like your boom mounts about 6" higher than mine. I don't remember that level of adjustment, but I'd like to raise mine a bit if possible.

Glad you had such a nice day out!

Edit: does seem like you're going without a boom vang or cunningham... is that what you were refering to?
I had the boom vang in the locker, too lazy to put on in light wind.

Nice rework of your gear, Al.
My mast float would look PERFECT with your sail. It's these two bright yellow inflatable joined sausages you run up on the main halyard. Kinda stands out on my blue sail, but would be invisible on yours, though with less height and sail area, maybe you don't need one.

Al W, very interesting solution and good on you for taking the necessary action to solve your problem and not allow yourself to be bothered by racing class rules etc. .... after all, it's your boat ;). In fact, I am sure I read somewhere about the Capri 14.2 being a bit "overpowered" with too much sail.

Back