one handed sailing

lava

I had shoulder surgery 6 wks ago. I was told today that it will be at least 10 more weeks before I can sail with both hands. Does anyone know a way to sail with only one hand? someone must have run across this before. thanks mike

I had shoulder surgery 6 wks ago. I was told today that it will be at least 10 more weeks before I can sail with both hands. Does anyone know a way to sail with only one hand? someone must have run across this before. thanks mike

I am sympathetic, having injured my elbow (tendonitis) by sailing in heavy weather (sheeting in and out) while being overpowered.
Nevertheless, listen to your brain, not your heart.
In other words, even though there might be a way to sail using just one hand, there is a good chance that you might hurt your shoulder (even) more seriously when something unexpected happens. I hate to think of the consequences...

I will understand your disgust with my opinion :(.

You can always install a cleat for the mainsheet and steer the boat with the good arm.

However, I strongly agree with the opinion of Wavedancer. Two years ago I had a very serious break in my arm near the shoulder that required reconstructive surgery. The doctors put me on similar restrictions as you.

The scary thing about sailing is that it is difficult to predict the forces that will act on your limbs. Regardless of how hard you try to protect the shoulder, in an environment like this, it will be very difficult for your natural reactions to not take over.

Near the water there tends to be plenty of slippery surfaces that you can fall on. Once on the boat, a large increase in wind velocity, a capsize or even falling in boat could be catastrophic.

If I were you I would wait at least as long as the doctor says. First test your shoulder on land in a controlled environment like the gym. It will be much easier to understand and adjust to how your body feels there than it will be on a boat. Once you decide to sail, I would advise going with a friend or two on a relatively calm day.

You only get one body. If you take care of it, there will probably be plenty of other days to sail in the future.

Move to New England.

With a bad shoulder, you won't be able to put on a drysuit, and without a drysuit you can't go sailing here for the next 15 weeks or so. Problem solved. ;)

Yea I know what you are saying, But I was hopping there is a one armer sunfish sailer who had figured a way to "litteraly" sail one handed.

Yea I know what you are saying, But I was hopping there is a one armer sunfish sailer who had figured a way to "litteraly" sail one handed.

We had a fellow where I sail who sailed a keelboat literaly single handed. However, he did everything that way, and had years to develop his system. Also, he did not have a hurt arm trying to heal, nor was he likely to land in the water or need quick moves to stay upright. Try and be patient. Your arm is worth more than a few extra outings in the Fish.

Days after I bought my first car, a knee injury put me in a "long-leg" plaster cast from heel to upper thigh. Sitting in the car, my toes were stuck among the wiring under the dashboard but, by tilting my toes towards me, I could move the accelerator downwards with my heel. :cool:

I managed to drive that standard-shift BMW for several weeks, using my left foot for the clutch and the brake pedals. The difference in our situations is that any misadventure wasn't likely to put me in water over my head! :eek:

(I broke my ankle last year, but still managed to sail my Porpoise II with "the boot" they make you wear).

All that said, people born without arms have managed to become artists by use of their toes—even managing eating utensils using their feet. If you've tried using your toes on the typical lines aboard a Sunfish, you'll find it's not an easy skill to learn.

"...Try and be patient. Your arm is worth more than a few extra outings in the Fish..."
Pretty much sums it up! :eek:

I once worked with a one-legged guy who drove a standard shift car. He thought that driving an automatic was giving in to his disability. He talked about getting a bicycle too, but he was having trouble figuring out how to start from a standing stop. I got a new job and lost touch with him, so I never found out if he was successful.

The Class enjoyed the participation of Norm Castle, a one-armed Sunfish racer, for many years. He utilized a mainsheet cleat and an extra long tiller extension. He developed his boat handling skill over a lifetime, and like the other writers have suggested, he had the advantage of not having to protect a recovering injury, when surprises came along and he had to recover from a swim. He was quite competitive!

Please take the advice of Derek to heart. Winter is a great season to dial it back, let your body heal, take advantage of the rehabilitation that you'll be guided through, and build back up to full participation.

I live in Michigan where we've got 12" of fresh snow, lakes not fully frozen, and more snow on the way. There's no sailing here, and with all the snow, there won't be ice sailing, either. Have a great winter and don't slip on the ice!

I grew up in Michigan, but now live in south carolina. It was 70 dg yesterday. I live on a lake, i've sailed atleast twice a week for the last 11 months,before surgery. I'm going crazy sitting at home, I just thought I could take it out on a mild day. oh well, i guess it was a pipe dream. thanks for the advice, Mike

There's got to be someone with a bigger boat (keel) that could take you for a ride now and then while you recover. Best wishes.

this is gonna sound like a joke but (pardon the pun). go out on a light day first & try sitting on the tiller & trying minute adjustments at first. tacking would be rough but you could cleat the main during tack.use your good hand to complete the tack.let the sail pull out to cleated lentgh(you would probably tack on to similar sail trim on opposite side anyway) then sit back on tiller to hold her straight. as for sheeting just wrap loops of the main sheet around your hand as it comes in & you can let a loop or 2 go if you need to spill some wind. the idea comes from my first day sailing, in my rookie confusion i sat on the tiller while i untangled the main

My wife is an Occupational Therapist - I told her of your wanting to single hand sail. She recommends what many others have said - to wait it out until your healed.

What you might want to do is when your ready and in therapy - (you are getting it right? If not tell your doctor you want it....) is have the OT come on over to the boat and they can help you ..my wife has done this for all kinds of things..after all OT's job is to get you back to doing the things YOU like.

Good luck....
Erik

Back